Is simultaneous time a real concept?

• Thread starter RAD4921
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, RADBarbour believes that time does not exist and that observations are simply instances of the state space of the entire universe. He uses the time independent Schrödinger and the Wheeler-Dewitt equations as a starting point for his arguments. I find his book "The End of Time" intellectually stimulating.
RAD4921
http://www.eliasforum.org/digests/time_simultaneous.html

Has anyone ever heard of simultaneous time? The above website was one of the few I could find on the exact subject and the above website does not appear to be very credible though it does convey the idea that I am trying to get across of a theory that claims that the past, present and future all happen at once. I first read about simultaneous time in a book by astrophysicist Paul Davies called "About Time". I think I also read about it in a book called "The End of Time" by physicist Julian Barbour.
I know the idea of simultaneous time is highly speculative so at this point I am not interested in criticism of the idea. Thanks
RAD

Physics news on Phys.org
Barbour does not talk about simultaneous time but about the absence of time.
He holds the position that time and thus movement does not exist. Observations are simply instances of the state space of the entire universe. He uses the time independent Schrödinger and the Wheeler-Dewitt equations as a starting point for his arguments.

I find his book "The End of Time" intellectually stimulating. :smile:

RAD4921 said:
http://www.eliasforum.org/digests/time_simultaneous.html

Has anyone ever heard of simultaneous time? The above website was one of the few I could find on the exact subject and the above website does not appear to be very credible though it does convey the idea that I am trying to get across of a theory that claims that the past, present and future all happen at once. I first read about simultaneous time in a book by astrophysicist Paul Davies called "About Time". I think I also read about it in a book called "The End of Time" by physicist Julian Barbour.
I know the idea of simultaneous time is highly speculative so at this point I am not interested in criticism of the idea. Thanks
RAD

There is no more reason to criticize the idea of simultaneous time than to criticize the the idea of the square root of time or the idea of inverted time or the idea of of white, black or green time. These are all imaginary constructs of the mind generated by placing a word(s) before the word time.

Last edited:
I actually thought that that was generally accepted now...the only reason time flows forward in our conscious awareness is because you have a body and it is governed by time flowing forward...if it didn't there could be no procreation or birthdays..l.o.l...or growing older and dieing to make way for the next generation...let's face it..who wants to be a sperm?...l.o.l.

What is simultaneous time?

Simultaneous time refers to the concept of two or more events occurring at the same time or overlapping in time.

How is simultaneous time measured?

Simultaneous time is measured using a time scale, such as seconds, minutes, or hours. It can also be measured using a clock or other timekeeping device.

Can simultaneous time be perceived differently by individuals?

Yes, simultaneous time can be perceived differently by individuals due to differences in their perception of time and their own personal experiences.

Why is simultaneous time important in scientific research?

Simultaneous time is important in scientific research because it allows for the accurate recording and measurement of events that occur at the same time, which is crucial for understanding cause and effect relationships.

What are some examples of simultaneous time in nature?

Some examples of simultaneous time in nature include the synchronization of animal migrations, the simultaneous blooming of flowers, and the simultaneous hatching of eggs in a bird's nest.