Simultaneous trigonometric equations

In summary, simultaneous trigonometric equations are equations that involve multiple trigonometric functions and must be solved simultaneously. The most common methods for solving these equations are substitution and elimination, but there are also special techniques that can be used for certain types of equations. These equations can have multiple solutions due to the periodic nature of trigonometric functions, and they have various real-life applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.
John O' Meara
I am looking for help in solving a pair of simultaneous equations. I have not come across any maths book that solves trigonometric ones. I was wondering if I could get a step by step solution. Thanking you in advance for your time:

5.4=10cos(x) + 13.41cos(y) ....(i)
0=10sin(x) + 13.41sin(y) .....(ii)

Physics news on Phys.org
Express "cos y" in terms of "cos x" using the II-nd equation and the relationship between the "sin" and the "cos".

Daniel.

Hi there,

Solving simultaneous trigonometric equations can be challenging, but with the right approach, it can be done. I would be happy to help you with the pair of equations you have provided.

First, let's rearrange the equations to make them easier to work with:

(i) 10cos(x) + 13.41cos(y) = 5.4
(ii) 10sin(x) + 13.41sin(y) = 0

Next, we can use the Pythagorean identity (sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1) to eliminate one of the variables. Let's square both sides of equation (ii) and substitute the value of sin^2(x) with (1-cos^2(x)):

100cos^2(x) + 267.5881sin^2(y) = 0
100cos^2(x) + 267.5881(1-cos^2(y)) = 0
100cos^2(x) + 267.5881 - 267.5881cos^2(y) = 0
100cos^2(x) - 167.5881cos^2(y) = -267.5881

Now, we can substitute this value into equation (i) and solve for cos(x):

10cos(x) + 13.41cos(y) = 5.4
10cos(x) + 13.41(1 - sin^2(y)) = 5.4
10cos(x) + 13.41 - 13.41sin^2(y) = 5.4
10cos(x) + 13.41 - 13.41(1 - cos^2(y)) = 5.4
10cos(x) - 13.41cos^2(y) = -8.01
10cos(x) = 13.41cos^2(y) - 8.01
cos(x) = (13.41cos^2(y) - 8.01)/10
cos(x) = (13.41cos(y) - 8.01)/10cos(y)

Now, we can substitute this value into equation (ii) and solve for sin(y):

10sin(x) + 13.41sin(y) = 0
10(1 - cos^2(y)) + 13.41

1. What are simultaneous trigonometric equations?

Simultaneous trigonometric equations are equations that involve multiple trigonometric functions and must be solved simultaneously to find the values of the variables that satisfy both equations.

2. How do you solve simultaneous trigonometric equations?

The most common method for solving simultaneous trigonometric equations is to use substitution or elimination. This involves isolating one variable in one equation and substituting its value into the other equation, or combining the equations to eliminate one variable.

3. Are there any special techniques for solving simultaneous trigonometric equations?

Yes, there are some special techniques that can be used for solving certain types of simultaneous trigonometric equations, such as using the double angle formula or the sum and difference formulas. These techniques can help simplify the equations and make them easier to solve.

4. Can simultaneous trigonometric equations have more than one solution?

Yes, simultaneous trigonometric equations can have multiple solutions. This is because trigonometric functions are periodic and can have multiple values that satisfy the equation. These solutions are typically expressed in terms of integer multiples of pi.

5. What are some real-life applications of simultaneous trigonometric equations?

Simultaneous trigonometric equations are commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to model and solve real-world problems involving objects or systems with multiple trigonometric components. For example, calculating the position and trajectory of a satellite or analyzing the forces acting on a bridge.