Simultanious eigenstate of Hubbard Hamiltonian and Spin operator in tw

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between commuting operators and simultaneous eigenstates. It is known that if two operators commute, they have simultaneous eigenstates. The Hubbard Hamiltonian and the spin operator are symmetric with respect to SU(2) spin operators, meaning they commute. This leads to the conclusion that the eigenstates of the Hubbard Hamiltonian are also eigenstates of the spin operator. However, a specific example using a two-site Hubbard model shows that this is not always the case, and that the eigenstates of one operator may not be eigenstates of the other, even for non-degenerate ground states. The contradiction may be due to the fact that, in the case of degenerate eigenstates of one operator, only certain linear combinations
schwarzg
TL;DR Summary
Hubbard Hamiltonian seems not to commute to S^2 operator. help
Please see this page and give me an advice.

https://physics.stackexchange.com/q...hamiltonian-and-spin-operator-in-two-site-mod
Known fact

1. If two operators ##A## and ##B## commute, ##[A,B]=0##, they have simultaneous eigenstates. That means ##A|a,b\rangle=a|a,b\rangle## and ##B|a,b\rangle=b|a,b\rangle##.
2. Hubbard Hamiltonian ##H_\text{hub}## is symmetric w.r.t. SU(2) spin operators. Thus ##[H,S^z]=[H,\vec{S}^2]=0##.

##\Rightarrow## Thus, eigenstates of ##H_\text{hub}## are also eigenstates of ##\vec{S}^2##.

To verify the above conclusion, I set a two-site Hubbard model with one ##\uparrow## and one ##\downarrow## fermions.
$$H=-t\sum_{\sigma=\uparrow,\downarrow}(c^\dagger_{1\sigma}c_{2\sigma}+h.c.)+U\sum_{i=1,2}(n_{i\uparrow} n_{i,\downarrow})$$
Without interaction, the ground state of the Hamiltonian is given by
$$|g\rangle=\frac{1}{2}(|\uparrow\downarrow ,0\rangle+|\uparrow,\downarrow\rangle+|\downarrow,\uparrow\rangle+|0,\uparrow\downarrow\rangle)$$
The total spin operator ##\vec{S}^2## is written in fermionic operator as
$$\vec{S}^2=\frac{1}{2}(S^+ S^- + S^- S^+)+(S^z)^2\\=\sum_{i=1,2}\sum_{j=1,2}[\frac{1}{2}(S_i^+ S_j^- + S_i^- S_j^+)+S_i^z S_j^z]$$
where each local operators are
$$
S^+_i=c^\dagger_{i,\uparrow} c_{i,\downarrow}\\
S^-_i=c^\dagger_{i,\downarrow} c_{i,\uparrow}\\
S^z_i=\frac{1}{2}(c^\dagger_{i,\uparrow} c_{i,\uparrow}-c^\dagger_{i,\downarrow} c_{i,\downarrow})
$$
Since ##|g\rangle## is an eigenstate of ##H##, so it must be an eigenstate of ##\vec{S}^2##. However, for each basis, we have
$$\vec{S}^2|\uparrow\downarrow,0\rangle=0\\
\vec{S}^2|\uparrow,\downarrow\rangle=|\uparrow,\downarrow\rangle+|\downarrow,\uparrow\rangle\\
\vec{S}^2|\downarrow,\uparrow\rangle=|\uparrow,\downarrow\rangle+|\downarrow,\uparrow\rangle\\
\vec{S}^2|0,\uparrow\downarrow\rangle=0$$
Thus we have
$$\vec{S}^2|g\rangle=|\uparrow,\downarrow\rangle+|\downarrow,\uparrow\rangle\\
\neq j(j+1)|g\rangle
$$

Where does the contradiction come from?

<Moderator's note: use ## ## to enclose inlined equations, not $ $.>

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
schwarzg said:
##\Rightarrow## Thus, eigenstates of ##H_\text{hub}## are also eigenstates of ##\vec{S}^2##.
That is incorrect. Commutating operators have a common basis of eigenstates, but that does not mean that any eigenstate of one operator is also an eigenstate of the other. In the case of degenerate eigenstates of one operator, there might be only certain linear combinations of these eigenstates that will result in eigenstates of the other operator. This appears to be what you have here.

Likes schwarzg
DrClaude said:
In the case of degenerate eigenstates of one operator, there might be only certain linear combinations of these eigenstates that will result in eigenstates of the other operator.
Thank you for your explanation. However, the ground state of the Hubbard model is non-degenerated. Thus, it is not the case you mentioned. Thus I still guess that ##|g\rangle## must be an eigenstate of ##\vec{S}^2## still. Is there are another error in my logic?

Last edited:

What is a simultaneous eigenstate?

A simultaneous eigenstate is a state in which both the Hubbard Hamiltonian and Spin operator have definite, well-defined values. In other words, the state is an eigenstate of both operators at the same time.

What is the significance of a simultaneous eigenstate in the Hubbard Hamiltonian and Spin operator?

A simultaneous eigenstate is significant because it allows for the determination of the energy and spin of a system with a single measurement. This makes it a useful tool in studying the behavior of quantum systems.

How is a simultaneous eigenstate calculated?

A simultaneous eigenstate is calculated by solving the eigenvalue equations for both the Hubbard Hamiltonian and Spin operator simultaneously. This involves finding the common eigenstates of both operators.

What is the relationship between the Hubbard Hamiltonian and the Spin operator?

The Hubbard Hamiltonian and Spin operator are both mathematical representations of physical properties of a quantum system. The Hubbard Hamiltonian describes the energy of the system, while the Spin operator describes the spin of the particles in the system.

What are some applications of studying simultaneous eigenstates in the Hubbard Hamiltonian and Spin operator?

Studying simultaneous eigenstates can provide insight into the behavior of quantum systems, such as the behavior of electrons in a material. This can have practical applications in fields such as materials science and condensed matter physics.