Simultinaity and the big bang?

• Thread starter cephied
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Big bang
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of simultaneity and its implications for the age and expansion of the universe. It is noted that from the perspective of the earth, the universe appears to be 12-15 billion years old, but to a particle traveling at the speed of light since the big bang, the universe is much younger. The concept of proper time is also mentioned, with the understanding that from the universe's frame of reference, it is 13.7 billion years old. It is clarified that relativity has not changed the laws of physics, but rather affects how time is measured from different frames of reference. The conversation concludes by stating that this is a question for a physics thread.
cephied
i am very new to this forum so i don't know if this posting is inappropriate in anyway. I had my only other posting removed so... with that being said, i am looking to better understand the implications of simultinaity as it pertains to the age and expansion of the universe. From the perspective of the earth, the universe seems to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 to 15 billion years old, but to a particle that has been traveling at near the speed of light since the big bang, the universe is nascent. Is this corrrect?

Space news on Phys.org
Correct. Proper time is an important concept though. From the universe's frame of reference, it is 13.7 billion years old. Relativity didn't change the laws of physics. It still takes X years for event Y to happen. It's just that clocks outside Y's frame will measure different values.

Since this is a question rather than a tutorial, I am moving it to a physics thread.

1. What is simultaneity?

Simultaneity is the concept of events occurring at the same time, or in the same moment. It is an important aspect of understanding the nature of time and the universe.

2. How is simultaneity related to the big bang?

The big bang theory is a scientific explanation for the origin and expansion of the universe. It suggests that the universe began as a single point of infinite density and exploded into existence. The concept of simultaneity is important in understanding the initial moments of the big bang and the subsequent expansion of the universe.

3. What evidence supports the idea of simultaneous events during the big bang?

Scientists have observed the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the residual energy from the big bang. This radiation is uniform in all directions, suggesting that at one point in time, the entire universe was in the same state of extreme density and temperature. This supports the idea of simultaneous events during the big bang.

4. Is it possible for events to occur simultaneously in different parts of the universe?

According to the theory of relativity, simultaneity is relative and depends on the observer's frame of reference. Therefore, it is possible for events to appear simultaneous in one part of the universe, but not in another. This is due to the fact that space and time are intertwined and can be affected by gravitational forces.

5. How does the concept of simultaneity impact our understanding of the beginning of the universe?

The concept of simultaneity helps us understand the initial conditions of the universe and how it has evolved over time. It also raises questions about the existence of time before the big bang and whether or not there was a single moment of creation. The ongoing research and study of simultaneity in relation to the big bang continues to shed light on the mysteries of the universe's origins.