1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sin and cos in z

1. Feb 4, 2005 #1
    Hi,

How would I do the following:

Find all w in C, such that cos(z + w) = cos z, for all z in C.

Of course I would need to use the identity cos z = (e^iz +e^-iz)/2, but I have trouble finding w for all z.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just to get to "warmed"...Can u solve the equation into reals??

Daniel.

4. Feb 4, 2005 #3

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Err I mess about with the expression a bit using trig laws and din't get very far.

But erm wouldn't the obvious be w = 2*pi and by extention all the others you should know but I've edited it out just to give you something to do.

5. Feb 4, 2005 #4
    Yes, w=2(pi) is certainly one solution, and showing that w = 2(pi)n (n an integer), works for all z is easy. However, how could I know that there are no other w that do this? Meaning, I could also show w = 4(pi)n works for all z, but those are not all the w's possible.

Thanks

6. Feb 4, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's the range of the second "n",the one included in "4\pi n"??

If it's Z (like the one with "2 \pi n"),then you have to agree that in this case there's nor NEW solution... :wink:

Daniel.

7. Feb 4, 2005 #6
    If I show, that w = 4(pi)n works for all z (n an integer), then I do not find all such w that do this, for all z in C, because 2(pi), works also, but is not in the set 4(pi)n , n an integer. So, if I would claim that all w=4(pi)n works for all z, this is true, but, I do not find all such w.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?