How can I find all w in C such that cos(z + w) = cos z for all z in C?

• Thread starter Mark C
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cos Sin
In summary, the conversation is about finding all possible values of w in C, such that cos(z + w) = cos z for all z in C. The identity used is cos z = (e^iz +e^-iz)/2, and one solution is w = 2(pi)n where n is an integer. However, the question remains about whether there are other values of w that satisfy the equation.
Mark C
Hi,

How would I do the following:

Find all w in C, such that cos(z + w) = cos z, for all z in C.

Of course I would need to use the identity cos z = (e^iz +e^-iz)/2, but I have trouble finding w for all z.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Just to get to "warmed"...Can u solve the equation into reals??

Daniel.

Err I mess about with the expression a bit using trig laws and din't get very far.

But erm wouldn't the obvious be w = 2*pi and by extention all the others you should know but I've edited it out just to give you something to do.

Yes, w=2(pi) is certainly one solution, and showing that w = 2(pi)n (n an integer), works for all z is easy. However, how could I know that there are no other w that do this? Meaning, I could also show w = 4(pi)n works for all z, but those are not all the w's possible.

Thanks

What's the range of the second "n",the one included in "4\pi n"??

If it's Z (like the one with "2 \pi n"),then you have to agree that in this case there's nor NEW solution... :wink:

Daniel.

If I show, that w = 4(pi)n works for all z (n an integer), then I do not find all such w that do this, for all z in C, because 2(pi), works also, but is not in the set 4(pi)n , n an integer. So, if I would claim that all w=4(pi)n works for all z, this is true, but, I do not find all such w.

1. What is the difference between sine and cosine in z?

Both sine and cosine are trigonometric functions that relate to the sides of a right triangle. The main difference between them is that sine represents the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse, while cosine represents the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse.

2. Why is z commonly used in sin and cos equations?

In mathematics, z is often used as a variable to represent a complex number. Since sine and cosine are also complex functions, it is common to use z as a placeholder for the input value in these equations.

3. How do you graph sin and cos in z?

To graph sine and cosine in z, you can plot points on the complex plane using the values of z as the x-coordinate and the output of the function as the y-coordinate. This will result in a sinusoidal curve for both functions.

4. Can sin and cos in z be used in real-life applications?

Yes, sine and cosine functions are used in many real-life applications, such as signal processing, engineering, physics, and music. They can be used to model periodic phenomena and are essential in understanding waves and vibrations.

5. What is the relationship between sin and cos in z?

The relationship between sine and cosine in z is described by the trigonometric identity: sin2(z) + cos2(z) = 1. This means that the square of the sine of z plus the square of the cosine of z will always equal 1, regardless of the value of z.