Discover the Solution to Sin(arctan(x/4)) with Expert Guidance

• Thread starter student1405
  • Start date
In summary, To find the value of sin(arctan(x/4)), first set up a right triangle with sides x and 4, and label the angle formed by x/4 as θ. Then, using the definition of tangent, θ=tan^{-1}(x/4), solve for the value of θ by finding the inverse tangent of x/4. Next, using the Pythagorean theorem, find the value of the hypotenuse of the triangle. Finally, plug in the values for x and the hypotenuse to the sine function to find the value of sin(arctan(x/4)).
student1405
[Mentor's note: This thread was originally posted in a non-homework forum, so it doesn't follow the homework template.]

----------------------------------------

Sin(arctan(x/4))= ?

Been over 2 years since I've done some math, a little help please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Set up a right triangle with sides x and 4, so that the tangent of one of the angles is x/4, i.e., tanθ=x/4. Then θ=tan^{-1}(x/4) . From the drawing, figure out the value of sinθ.

It might help you if you draw a triangle and split the expression above into component parts.

First, how would you triangle look if you were to show what arctan(x/4) meant?

Ok I:

Drew a triangle in quadrant 1 to represent x/4 and labeled the angle A for random sake
then used Pythagorean theorem to find the hyp
after solving for sign and rationalizing I came up with:

SinA= (x(√(x^2)+16)/((x^2)+16) ------ √ ending after the first 16
sound right?

Yes, ##\sin(A)=x\frac{\sqrt{x^2+16}}{x^2+16}##.

ehild

What is the solution to sin(arctan(x/4))?

The solution to sin(arctan(x/4)) is x/√(x^2+16).

Can you explain the concept of sin(arctan(x/4))?

Sin(arctan(x/4)) is the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle with an angle of arctan(x/4). It represents the value of sin for a given angle in terms of the sides of the triangle.

How can I use this solution in my scientific research?

The solution to sin(arctan(x/4)) can be used in various fields of science such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It can be applied in solving problems involving angles and trigonometric functions.

What is the importance of expert guidance in understanding this solution?

Expert guidance is crucial in understanding the solution to sin(arctan(x/4)) as it involves complex mathematical concepts. Experts can provide clear explanations and step-by-step guidance to help individuals fully grasp the solution.

Are there any real-life applications of this solution?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of the solution to sin(arctan(x/4)). It can be used in surveying, navigation, and in calculating the height of buildings and mountains. It is also used in industries such as construction and architecture.