Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sin, cos, tan, csc, sec, cot

1. Sep 15, 2004 #1
    I dont understand how they figure these problems out.

Give the quadrant in which each of the following points are located, and determine which of the functions are postive and which are negative.

(4, 3) Quadrant I; SIN +; COS +; TAN +; CSC +; SEC +; COT +;
    I understand that I think, but how do they determine (-3,4)? Can someone explain?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2004 #2

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not at all clear that this is the case, but my best guess is that want to know whether each of the trig functions is positive or negative if it were applied to the angle formed by the positive x axis vector from the origin to the reference point.

4. Sep 15, 2004 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If the "point" is (x,y) (as in (-3, 4)) then cos always has the sign of the x-component, sin always has the sign of the y-component. signs of tan, cot, sec, csc, follow from their expression in terms of sign and cos.

In this example sin(θ) is positive (in fact, it is 4/5), cos(θ) is negative (it is -3/5), tan(θ)= sin(θ)/cos(θ)= y/x= -4/3, cot(θ)= cos(&theta)/&sin(theta)= -3/4, sec(θ)= 1/cos(&theta)= -5/3, and csc(θ)= 1/sin(&theta)= 5/4.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?