1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sin/cos/tan graphs

1. Mar 15, 2014 #1
    I know the general equation for trig functions and how to manipulate them:
    y=A sin [B (x-c)] + D
    howver , the tan function has a period of ∏/b. how is this derived? I know it has to do with tan = y/x right? but I just don't understand how to derive the period when you're graphing a tan function.

Thanks,
    Randy

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You're asking about the function ##f(x) = \tan(x)##? Then what is ##b##?

Also, how did you define the tangent function?

4. Mar 15, 2014 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

In addition to what micromass said, "tan = y/x" is not correct. There's an angle involved that you don't show. Tangent of what? It's a little like saying "√ = 4". Square root of what?

5. Mar 15, 2014 #4
    hmmm...maybe I'm not being clear. If using the "unit circle" the sin function is y/r, cos is x/r, tan is y/x, where r=1. Is this not how you plot a sin/cos/tan function on the x/y plane?

6. Mar 15, 2014 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Well first of all, if you take a unit circle definition, then I don't see why you bother to write the ##r##.

Second, you ignored the post by Mark. There is no such thing as a ##\tan##. You need to take the ##\tan## of some angle.

Anyway, let's move on to you question. You know that

[tex]\tan(x) = \frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)}[/tex]

holds for all ##x## for which the fraction on the right is defined.
    Can you try to show that

[tex]\tan(x+\pi) = \tan(x)[/tex]

To do this, do you know some formulas for ##\sin(x+\pi)## and ##\cos(x+\pi)##?

7. Mar 16, 2014 #6
    tan(x) formula

I'm sorry, but I don't see how this is germane to a tan function. In a standard problem that asks to A:graph a tangent function B:show the period of the function C: show the asymptotes D: give the domain and range. I don't see how the formulas [tex]\sin(x+\pi)[/tex] and [tex]\cos(x+\pi)[/tex] help me get there.

Thanks

8. Mar 16, 2014 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Seeing as this is a standard problem, I moved it to the homework forums. Now, please provide an attempt at solving the problem before we can continue.

9. Mar 16, 2014 #8
    graph tan(4t)

ok. here is one I missed. graph [tex] y= tan(4t) [/tex]
    A: find the period.
    B: find the phase shift
    c: give the domain/range
    d: find the asymptotes
    the general formula for the tan/cot funcit is [tex] y= A tan [B (x-C)] + D [/tex]. A is amp, [tex] ∏/B [/tex] is the period, [tex] C [/tex] will give the phase shift, and [tex] D [/tex] is the vertical translation.
    I know that at the points on the unit circle (0,1) and (0,-1) the function is UNDEFINED, so this is the asymptote. Now WHAT IS THE [tex] 4t [/tex]? This is what I missed.
    Thanks,

10. Mar 17, 2014 #9
    ##4t## is your independent variable, instead of an ##x## or ##\theta## that you might usually see. You can use this 4t to find the period of this particular function. ##tan\theta## contains a period of ##\pi## but since you're dealing w/ ##tan(n\theta##), your period will be ##\frac{\pi}{n}## which will give you a ratio of ##\pi## relative to your function, in other words n(##\frac{\pi}{n}##) = ##\pi##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted