1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sin/cos/tan of theta

1. Dec 2, 2003 #1
    Hello, I'm studying pendulums and their proporties, and I really need to know the sin/tan/cos of theta. If anyone can help, please help. (And also, I need to know what theta is)

And if you don't understand what I'm asking, please ask and I'll try to explain to the best of my ability.

--Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2003 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[itex]\theta[/itex] is a symbol commonly used to denote an angle. What angle? I don't know, you'd have to tell me, since you're the one looking at the problem. Most likely, for a pendulum problem, [itex]\theta[/itex] means the angle between the pendulum's string and a vertical line. This angle is constantly changing as the pendulum swings back and forth.

The sine, cosine, and tangent are functions. They're like little machines: you give them an angle, and they give you back a number. For example, the cosine of zero degrees is one: if you insert "zero degrees" into the "cosine machine," it spits out the number "one."

Maybe you should post the entire problem for us here so we can better help you.

- Warren

4. Dec 2, 2003 #3
    Actually, there is no problem, I just don't know what is being talked about. (I really don't know if I even explained it right to you)

http://www.gyogyitokezek.hu/fe/pendtutor1.htm

This is a sight, and the one I'm looking at is the "plane pendulum."

Thanks for your help!

5. Dec 2, 2003 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then you're not talking about theta, you're talking about phi ([itex]\phi[/itex]). The meaning of this symbol is shown in Fig. 2 on the site. It is the angle of the pendulum, measured anticlockwise with respect to some point on the circle (shown there on the bottom of the circle).

- Warren

6. Dec 2, 2003 #5
    Okay, thanks. But I have another question. If I were to make a pendulum to exert force on an object, how do I calculate how much force the pendulum has and how could I control it?

Do I use this equation?:

[tex]F_{cp}=m\omega^2+mg\cos\phi[/tex]

7. Dec 2, 2003 #6

Depends on the situation buddy.

8. Dec 2, 2003 #7
    Okay, say I have a plane pendulum and I want to use it to make contact with a stationary object, thereby causing motion to the object. How do I calculate how much force the pendulum exerts and how can I control it? Say, I know "x" amount of force is needed to move an object from point A to point B. How can I use the pendulum to control and calculate "x" amount of force to give motion to the object?

9. Dec 2, 2003 #8

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

10. Dec 3, 2003 #9
    Okay, thank you for your time and help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?