Understanding the Sin Function

In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of the inequality \sin \theta \leq \theta for 0 \leq \theta \leq \pi/2 and provides various explanations for its truth, including the use of geometry, the series definition for sine, and the graph of the function f(x) = x - sin(x). The conversation also mentions the need for knowing that the sum of all terms after the first is negative and has a magnitude less than the first term in the series.
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] sin function

Homework Statement

My complex analysis book says, "from calculus, [itex]\sin \theta \leq \theta[/itex] for [itex]0 \leq \theta \leq \pi/2 [/itex]." Could someone please give me a better reason why that is true?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
well, the only way i know how to prove that [tex]|sin(x)|<|x|[/tex] is with the aid of geometry. YOu need to construct a circle with radius R=1, and denote wit OAB a triangle, and with AB the arch. Denote also by x the angle that the two sides, the radiuses of the circle enclose. And you will see the validity of this. This is true only when the angle is measured in radians. Because also remember that a portion of the arch of the circle, call it acrAB is actually the measure of the angle in radians, if we draw two lines that pass through the two points in the circle A,B.

Last edited:
You could also consider the function f(x)=x-sin(x) and it's derivative.

morphism said:
You could also consider the function f(x)=x-sin(x) and it's derivative.

Very nice.

It should also be clear if you use the series definition for sine.

Drawing their graphs will also make it clear.

… chord-length < arc-length …

Hi ehrenfest! :smile:

The intuitive explanation is: 2sinx = chord-length (a straight line :smile: ), which is less than 2x = arc-length (not a straight line :frown: ), for 2x < π.

(This is sutupidmath's explanation, of course, with the details left out.)

Gib Z said:
It should also be clear if you use the series definition for sine.

Its not clear. For that to be true, you need to know that the sum of all the terms after the first is negative and has magnitude less than the first term in the series. Why is that true?

Last edited:
ehrenfest said:
Its not clear. For that to be true, you need to know that the sum of all the terms after the first is negative and has magnitude less than the first term in the series. Why is that true?

Neither to me...

ehrenfest said:

My bad. The things you stated there are sometimes used when deriving the series in the first place and showing the Taylor Remainder term goes to zero, but not always. I wrongly assumed you learned it the same way I did.

1. What is the sin function?

The sin function, also known as the sine function, is a mathematical function that maps any angle to a corresponding ratio of the length of the side opposite the angle to the length of the hypotenuse in a right triangle.

2. How is the sin function used in mathematics?

The sin function is used in mathematics to solve various problems involving triangles, waves, and oscillating systems. It is also an important component in trigonometry and calculus.

3. What is the domain and range of the sin function?

The domain of the sin function is all real numbers, while the range is between -1 and 1. In other words, the input for the sin function can be any angle measure, but the output will always fall between -1 and 1.

4. How is the sin function related to other trigonometric functions?

The sin function is one of the three primary trigonometric functions, along with cosine and tangent. It is also closely related to the other three trigonometric functions: cosecant, secant, and cotangent.

5. What are some real-world applications of the sin function?

The sin function has various real-world applications, such as in engineering for analyzing vibrations and waves, in physics for understanding harmonic motion, and in navigation for determining distances and angles between two points. It is also used in computer graphics to create smooth curves and animations.