Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sin pi/12

1. Nov 19, 2014 #1
    In then math course I am taking it is giving the example of using compound angle formulas to solve sin(pi/12). The solution in the formula says that it is (pi/3-pi/4). I don't understand how pi/12 is equal to (pi/3-pi/4). What am I missing in this solution?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2014 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Basic arithmetic for fractions

4. Nov 20, 2014 #3
    Now I feel dumb. Amazing how the simple things elude you. Once i looked at it from a basic perspective instead of trying to over analyze it was plain and simple. Thanks.

5. Nov 20, 2014 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Exactly what to say and how to say it seemed unapparent. You're dealing with angle sum or difference formulas, and you have fractions. Students are not accustomed to decomposing fractions this way, but really this is still elementary basic arithmetic. You usually want to play with simpler more common fractions to look for how to decompose your fraction factor of pi.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook