Solving Sin/sec/tan/csc: -sqrt6/6

• Thread starter sfeld
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a trigonometry problem involving angles given in both degrees and radians. The participants mention changing all angles to radians and using reference triangles to solve the problem. There is also frustration expressed towards the complexity of the problem and the potential confusion caused by using both degrees and radians for angles.
sfeld
How do they figure this answer out?

sin 240 x sec(-45) - tan (-pie/6) csc(-315)

Basiclaly it says

sin(240 degrees) times sec(-145 degrees) - tan(-pie/positive 6) csc(-315 degrees)

says the answer is -square root 6/6

sorry I don't know how to do the symbol stuff on this forum :( please forgive me.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not the policy of this site do homework for you. You'll have to figure it out for yourself. I'll give you a hint, however. Change all of the angles into radians, and using reference triangles, just figure out the values of each term directly. (You'll know the ratios because all the triangles are either 30º-60º-90º or 45º-45º-90º triangles). This is the most basic way to do it.

On a side note, [itex]\pi[/itex] is spelled "pi," not "pie." A pie is something that you eat. Pi is the Greek letter.

Last edited:
Am I the only one that thinks that a trig problem in which angles are given as both degrees (45) and radians (-pi/6) is really horrible? Especially if there was not mention as to which was which. If I saw "-pi/6" here, why wouldn't I assume that was radians and that "sec -45" means the secant of -45 radians?

HallsofIvy said:
Am I the only one that thinks that a trig problem in which angles are given as both degrees (45) and radians (-pi/6) is really horrible?
It's a blasphemy! :grumpy:
In addition, the author has evidently not understood that "radian trig functions" are different functions than "degree trig functions", since, given the same input yield different values.

Last edited:
arildno said:
In addition, the author has evidently not understood that "radian trig functions" are different functions than "degree trig functions", since, given the same input yield different values.

I think the author is just trying to confuse these guys even further. They don't need that.

In that case, he's a sadist; that's even worse than ignorance, IMO.

1. What is the process for solving -sqrt6/6 in sin/sec/tan/csc?

The process for solving -sqrt6/6 in sin/sec/tan/csc involves using the unit circle and trigonometric identities to find the values of the sin, cos, tan, and csc functions.

2. How do I convert -sqrt6/6 to a decimal?

To convert -sqrt6/6 to a decimal, first use a calculator to find the square root of 6, which is approximately 2.449. Then, divide -2.449 by 6 to get the decimal approximation of -sqrt6/6, which is approximately -0.408.

3. What is the value of -sqrt6/6 in radians?

The value of -sqrt6/6 in radians can be found by first converting -sqrt6/6 to a decimal, which is approximately -0.408. Then, use the formula for converting degrees to radians (radians = degrees * pi/180) to get the value of -sqrt6/6 in radians, which is approximately -0.0071 radians.

4. How can I use the reference angle to solve -sqrt6/6 in sin/sec/tan/csc?

The reference angle is the acute angle formed between the terminal side of the angle and the x-axis. To use the reference angle to solve -sqrt6/6 in sin/sec/tan/csc, you can use the trigonometric identities for the reference angle to find the values of the sin, cos, tan, and csc functions.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve -sqrt6/6 in sin/sec/tan/csc?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve -sqrt6/6 in sin/sec/tan/csc. Most scientific and graphing calculators have built-in trigonometric functions that can be used to find the values of sin, cos, tan, and csc. However, it is important to understand the concepts and formulas behind these functions in order to use them effectively.