1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sin0 (x)

1. Oct 15, 2011 #1
    What would sin^0 (x) mean? sin^n (x) means using the sine function 'n' times on x, so what does it mean to use it zero times? does sin^0 (x) then equal 'x' or '0' or... ?

The context of this question is that I have to prove that:
    I_n = integral from zero to pi/2 of sin^n (x) with respect to 'x'

I am proving this by induction starting with n=0, assuming true for n=n and showing it is true for n=n+1

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2011 #2
    [tex]sin^{0}(x) = (sin0)^{0} = 1[/tex]
    Is n a natural number? Then start with n = 1.

4. Oct 15, 2011 #3
    sorry maybe I've got more than that confused in my head... I always understand sinn (x) to mean you use the function 'sine' 'n' times on x, rather than take sin(x) and multiply it by 'n'... am I wrong there? Surely not because sin(sin(pi/2)) >< {sin(pi/2)}^2

and yes n is a natural number but starting from 0

5. Oct 15, 2011 #4
    [itex]sin^{2}(x)[/itex] is shorthand for [itex]sin(x)sin(x)[/itex], and so on for arbitrary n. A value raised to the power of 0 equals 1 due to the fact that [itex]x^{n} = x*x^{n-1}[/itex], so...
    [tex]x^{0} = x*x^{-1} = x*\frac{1}{x} = 1[/tex]

Zero isn't a natural number. This is me being pedantic, of course, and you can still begin with n=0 if you like. Can you elaborate on what you're trying to prove? What in the integral supposed to equal?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  6. Oct 16, 2011 #5
    wow I have no idea how I got this far in uni making that mistake about what sin^2(x) was... thanks number nine :)

and sorry, that was my mistake for saying it was a natural number. n = {0,1,2...}

the integral is given and we have to show that I_0 > I_1 > I_2 > .... etc

7. Oct 16, 2011 #6
    Can you show that [itex]\sin^{n}(x) > \sin^{n+1}(x)[/itex] for all n? Once you do, can you see how to use this to solve the problem?

Also, I'd like to say that I think the notation [itex]\sin^2(x)[/itex] to mean [itex](\sin(x))^2[/itex] is very unfortunate. It is often the case that [itex] f^2(x)[/itex] is taken to mean [itex] f(f(x))[/itex] as you had thought, PhysForumID. This is almost always the case with the exponent -1, since [itex]f^{-1}[/itex] usually denotes the inverse of f with respect to functional composition, not multiplication. One great confusion people often have while learning trigonometry is that [itex] \sin^2(x) = (\sin(x))^2[/itex], but [itex] \sin^{-1}(x) \neq (\sin(x))^{-1}[/itex]. Rather [itex] \sin(\sin^{-1}(x))=x[/itex], since here the exponent refers to functional composition and not multiplication.

There is no consensus on whether or not 0 is a natural number. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_number" [Broken]:
    You can use either convention as long as you're consistent. If you really want to be unambiguous, you can say "non-negative integers" and "positive integers."

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  8. Oct 17, 2011 #7

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Moderator's note: thread moved from "General Math" to "Homework & Coursework Questions". Rules for homework help are in effect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook