Are Shifted Sinc Functions Orthogonal for Any Real Value of x_0?

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to prove the orthogonality of two "shifted" Sinc functions. The result is shown to be correct and it is proven that the set of sinc functions is an orthonormal basis for bandlimited functions. It is also discussed that sinc(x-n) and sinc(x+n) are reflections of each other and therefore not orthogonal, but they are still part of the orthonormal basis.
mnb96
Hello,
I'd like to prove the orthogonality of two "shifted" Sinc functions, but I can't find the mistake.
Here is my attempt:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}sinc(x)sinc(x-x_0)dx[/tex]
Observing this quantity can be obtained by evaluating the Fourier transform at zero, we have:

[tex]\mathcal{F}\{ sinc(x)sinc(x-x_0) \}(0)[/tex]

and using the convolution theorem and the shift theorem (for the second sinc), we get:

[tex](rect(\omega)\otimes e^{-i2\pi\omega x_0}rect(\omega))(0) = [/tex]

[tex]= \int_{-1/2}^{+1/2} e^{-i2\pi\omega x_0}d\omega = [/tex]

[tex]= \left[ \frac{sin(2\pi\omega x_0)}{2\pi x_0} \right]_{-1/2}^{1/2} = [/tex]

[tex]= \frac{sin(\pi x_0)}{\pi x_0} = [/tex]

[tex]= sinc(x_0) [/tex]

Now, this quantity is 0 iff [itex]x_0[/itex] is a non-zero integer!
Is this the correct result?
Aren't two sinc functions supposed to be orthogonal for any [itex]x_0[/itex] real?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is correct, you have shown that:

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}sinc(x)sinc(x-x_0)dx = \delta (x-x_{0})[/tex]

For [tex]x_{0}=0[/tex] you have the inner product of the same vector(there's no shift) i.e.

[tex] \left \langle sinc(x),sinc(x) \right \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}sinc(x)^{2}dx[/tex]

Thanks!
that means that the set of sinc functions:

[tex]\{ sinc(x-n) | n \in \mathbb{Z}^{+}_{0} \}[/tex]

is an orthonormal basis...but basis for what?
what functions can be represented as a linear combinations of sinc(x-n) ?

Basically what confuses me, is that in any pair sinc(x-n) and sinc(x+n) the functions are not orthogonal, and I don't know if they are are redundant or not.

is an orthonormal basis...but basis for what?

For the bandlimited[\B] functions, the ones that have a Fourier transform with a bounded support. This is the Shannon-Whittaker sampling theorem: given a function [tex]f\left(t\right)[/tex], such that its Fourier transform [tex]F\left(\omega\right)[/tex] is such that [tex]F\left(\omega\right)=0, \left|\omega\right|>B[/tex], then:

[tex]
f\left(t\right)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^{n=+\infty}f\left(nT\right){\rm sinc}\left(\frac{t-nT}{T}\right)
[/tex]

If [tex] T> \pi/B[/tex]. This is the called the Nyquist condition; if it's not satisfied, then you have what is called aliasing, where the highest frequency components of the function "appear" as low-frequency ones. For more details, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist%E2%80%93Shannon_sampling_theorem"

Basically what confuses me, is that in any pair sinc(x-n) and sinc(x+n) the functions are not orthogonal, and I don't know if they are are redundant or not.

Notice that sinc(x-n) and sinc(x+n) are obtained from each other through a reflection on the y-axis, so you should not expect that they are orthogonal.

Last edited by a moderator:
JSuarez said:
Notice that sinc(x-n) and sinc(x+n) are obtained from each other through a reflection on the y-axis, so you should not expect that they are orthogonal.

Sorry, my calculations were wrong.
It is possible to prove that:

[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}sinc(x+x_0)sinc(x-x_0)dx = sinc(2x_0)
[/tex]

Again, assuming [itex]x_0[/itex] is a non-zero integer, [itex]sinc(2x_0)=0[/itex], so those functions, despite being the reflection of each other, are orthogonal.

The orthonormal basis for the bandlimited functions is then: [itex] \{ sinc(x-n) | n \in \mathbb{Z} \} [/itex]

My apologies, I studied sampling a long time ago and I didn't remember if they were orthogonal.:redface: The rest is correct, thought.

1. What is a sinc function?

A sinc function is a mathematical function that is defined as the sine of its argument divided by the argument itself. It is also known as the normalized sinc function or the cardinal sine function.

2. How is the orthogonality of sinc functions determined?

The orthogonality of sinc functions is determined by evaluating the integral of the product of two sinc functions over a given interval. If the integral is equal to zero, then the sinc functions are orthogonal over that interval.

3. Why are sinc functions important in signal processing?

Sinc functions are important in signal processing because they are used to reconstruct a continuous signal from a sampled version of the signal. They are also used for low-pass filtering and removing noise from signals.

4. How are sinc functions related to the Fourier transform?

Sinc functions are closely related to the Fourier transform as they are the Fourier transform of a rectangular pulse. This means that any signal can be represented as a sum of sinc functions in the frequency domain.

5. Can sinc functions be used for interpolation?

Yes, sinc functions can be used for interpolation by reconstructing a continuous signal from a set of discrete samples. This is known as the Whittaker-Shannon interpolation formula and is commonly used in digital signal processing.