Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculators Sinclair Cambridge Scientific

1. Jan 11, 2013 #1
    I just purchased a Sinclair Cambridge Scientific calculator so I could try something showing my son what calculators were like when I was a boy. I have taken a number and then Tan(cos(sin(x))) then inversed back through the functions to show how different the numbers are on the modern and the old.
    Has any one got any ideas on other things you can show or explore. It takes a perceptible time calculate sin.
    Thanks
    Dave

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2013 #2

trollcast

Gold Member

Does it give the correct answer for [itex]e^\pi - \pi[/itex] ?

Also on a really old calculator my dad has it'll take ages to work out the square roots of fractions (even for quite easy ones like 1/144)

4. Jan 11, 2013 #3
    Thanks for responding

It seem to calculate that correctly when compared to the same calculation on my modern casio.
    With the Sin cos Tan then inverse function with an initial input of 5 you get when get back to arctan you have a value of one. It seems to have the closest return value at around 60 degrees. It final value is 67.497
    I need to have a further think about this, and have a look around to see if I can find what algorithms it uses to calculate the functions

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook