Uncovering the Math Behind Sine 45 Degrees

In summary, the conversation discusses the similarity between the sine of 45 degrees and the sum from one to fifty of the square root of x divided by 10. The participants later discover that the calculation was incorrect due to confusion with notation. The correct calculation shows that the two are equal.
nate808
The sine of 45 degrees is equal to root two over two or approximately.7071. I was playing around on my calculator when i stumbled upon the resemblance that sine45 degrees is either equal to or extremely close to the sum from one to fifty of the (square root of x)/10. Is there anything here or just something I'm missing

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hmmm, maybe you should check your calulation again. To me it looks like Sum [ sqrtx/10 ] x = 1 to 50 is roughly equal to 24.

yeah, i also get 23.903580060352073

ya--u guys are right--i was using a ti-30 and it was a bit confusing as to the notation but what i ended up doing was (root 50)/10 not sum from 1 to 50---it was late last night--my apologies

Ah, well in that case [tex] \sqrt{50}/10 = 5 \sqrt{2}/10 = \sqrt{2}/2 = \sin(45^\circ) [/tex]

1. What is the value of sine 45 degrees?

The value of sine 45 degrees is 0.70710678118.

2. How is the value of sine 45 degrees calculated?

The value of sine 45 degrees is calculated using the formula sin(x) = opposite/hypotenuse, where x is the angle and opposite and hypotenuse are sides of a right triangle with the angle x being 45 degrees.

3. What is the significance of sine 45 degrees in mathematics?

Sine 45 degrees is significant in mathematics because it is one of the special angles in trigonometry that has a simple and exact value. It is also used in many equations and applications, such as in calculating distances and heights in various fields like physics, engineering, and navigation.

4. How is sine 45 degrees related to other trigonometric functions?

Sine 45 degrees is related to other trigonometric functions through the fundamental trigonometric identity: sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1. By substituting x with 45 degrees, we get sin^2(45) + cos^2(45) = 1. Since the cosine of 45 degrees is also 0.70710678118, we can rewrite the equation as sin^2(45) + (sin^2(45)) = 1. Thus, sine 45 degrees is equal to the cosine of 45 degrees, and they are both equal to 0.70710678118.

5. How is the value of sine 45 degrees used in real-life situations?

The value of sine 45 degrees is used in many real-life situations, such as in construction, architecture, and engineering. It is used to calculate the height and distance of structures, as well as the angles of roofs and ramps. It is also used in navigation and map-making to determine the distance and direction between two points. Additionally, sine 45 degrees is used in physics and mechanics to calculate forces, velocities, and trajectories.