Sine and cosine law in oblique triangles

In summary, the leaning tower of Pisa has an angle of 5.5 degrees towards the south and a shadow of 90m. By using the sine law, the slant height of the tower is determined to be 53.29m. The height of the tip of the tower above ground is 53.04m, which is close to the slant height. The direction of the shadow indicates where the tower is leaning.
aisha
Word Problem
The leaning tower of pisa leans toward the south at an angle of 5.5 degrees. One day a shadow was 90 m long and the elevation from the tip of the shadow to the top of the tower was 32 degrees

1)Determine the slant height of the tower.

First I found all the angles and then i used the sine law and got the slant to be 53.29 metres.

2) How high is the tip of the tower above ground?

I had a line from the tip of the tower perpendicular to the shadow and using sin=opposite/hypotenuse I determined what the opposite length was and got 53.04 metres

The two answers are quite close that's why I am not sure if I did this correctly can someone please check :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
Trigonometery is not my stong point, but I want to ask does it tell which direction the shadow of the tower is pointing?

From my expiences with these types of problems, id say the shadow is where the tower is leaning.

Okay, you ur awnsers, are corrent. :smile:

Last edited:
53.04 m is the right answer. Good job! :smile:

What is the Sine Law in oblique triangles?

The Sine Law, also known as the Law of Sines, states that in any triangle, the ratio of the length of a side to the sine of its opposite angle is constant. This can be written as a/sinA = b/sinB = c/sinC, where a, b, and c are the side lengths and A, B, and C are the opposite angles.

What is the Cosine Law in oblique triangles?

The Cosine Law, also known as the Law of Cosines, states that in any triangle, the square of a side length is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides minus twice the product of those two sides and the cosine of the included angle. This can be written as c² = a² + b² - 2abcosC, where c is the side opposite the angle C.

When should I use the Sine Law?

The Sine Law is typically used when you know the measures of at least two angles and one side length of a triangle. This can be helpful in solving for missing side lengths or angles in oblique triangles.

When should I use the Cosine Law?

The Cosine Law is typically used when you know the measures of all three sides of a triangle and are trying to find the measure of an angle. It can also be used when you know the measures of two sides and the included angle, or when you know the measures of two angles and the side between them.

What are some real-life applications of the Sine and Cosine Laws?

The Sine and Cosine Laws are used in various fields such as construction, engineering, navigation, and astronomy. They can be used to determine the height of a building, the length of a bridge, the angle of elevation for a satellite, and much more.