1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sine and cosine law in oblique triangles

1. Jan 19, 2005 #1
    Word Problem
    The leaning tower of pisa leans toward the south at an angle of 5.5 degrees. One day a shadow was 90 m long and the elevation from the tip of the shadow to the top of the tower was 32 degrees

1)Determine the slant height of the tower.

First I found all the angles and then i used the sine law and got the slant to be 53.29 metres.

2) How high is the tip of the tower above ground?

I had a line from the tip of the tower perpendicular to the shadow and using sin=opposite/hypotenuse I determined what the opposite length was and got 53.04 metres

The two answers are quite close thats why im not sure if I did this correctly can someone plz check :redface:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2005 #2
    Trigonometery is not my stong point, but I want to ask does it tell which direction the shadow of the tower is pointing?

4. Jan 19, 2005 #3
    From my expiences with these types of problems, id say the shadow is where the tower is leaning.

5. Jan 19, 2005 #4
    Okay, ya ur awnsers, are corrent. :smile:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  6. Jan 20, 2005 #5

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

53.04 m is the right answer. Good job! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?