1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sine and cosine

1. Apr 30, 2006 #1
    Hello, could anyone help me calculate the value of x?

246.25 sin x - 676.58 cos x = -27768.42

Thank you..

James

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2006 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know the smallest value sin x can have, and the largest value cos x can have. So what is the smallest value 246.25 sin x - 676.58 cos x can have?

(Or are you expected to work with complex numbers?)

4. Apr 30, 2006 #3
    Ah, yea that's right. it's impossible to solve it.

Well, this equation is derived from somewhere else, and I might have done mistake in doing it.

This is the question:

Use Cartesian vector method to solve the problem. If you use any other method, you will receive zero.

A pilot wishes to fly form city A to city B, a distance of 720 km on a bearing of 70 degree. The speed of the plane is 700 km/h. An 60 km/h wind is blowing on a bearing of 110 degree. What heading should the pilot take to reach his or her destination? How long will the trip take?

Could you help me with this please? I will post my work in 5 minutes.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2006
  5. Apr 30, 2006 #4
  6. Apr 30, 2006 #5

VietDao29

Homework Helper

As I see it, the last line is wrong, you divided the LSH by 700 but forgot to divide the RHS by 700. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?