Sine, cosine and tangency of angle 11pi/12

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the values for sine, cosine, and tangent of 11pi/12. The first person initially provides their solutions, but the second person points out that their approach is incorrect and explains the proper way to solve the problem using the formula for sine of the sum of two angles. The first person then correctly solves for cosine and thanks the second person for their help.
TonyC
When I worked this problem, I came up with the following:

sin 11pi/12= -sq root 2/4 (sq root3-1)
cos 11pi/12= -sq root 2/4 (sq root3+1)
tan 11pi/12= 2-sq root3

am I far off?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
How did you get that? Does't seem right to me.

How did you arrive at those?

For the first one i get

[tex]sin \frac {11 \pi}{12} = \frac {\sqrt 2}{4} (\sqrt 3 - 1)[/tex]

I started by working in radians.

And then what?

11pi/12=165 degrees

11pi/12=pi/4+2pi/3
sq root 3/3+sq root 2/2

If sin 11pi/12=sq root 2/4(sq root 3-1)

I came up with:
cos 11pi/12=sq root 2/4(sq root 3+1)
tan 11pi/12=2-sq root3

TonyC said:
11pi/12=165 degrees

11pi/12=pi/4+2pi/3
sq root 3/3+sq root 2/2
This is correct: [tex]\frac{{11\pi }}{{12}} = \frac{\pi }{4} + \frac{{2\pi }}{3}[/tex]

But [itex]\sin \left( {\alpha + \beta } \right) \ne \sin \left( \alpha \right) + \sin \left( \beta \right)[/tex] so you can't just take the sine of both angles!

Use [itex]\sin \left( {\alpha + \beta } \right) = \sin \left( \alpha \right) \cdot \cos \left( \beta \right) + \cos \left( \alpha \right) \cdot \sin \left( \beta \right)[/itex]

I am still confused...

P.S. what program are you using so I don't have to keep writing out the equations long hand?

Well, we have that [tex]\frac{{11\pi }}{{12}} = \frac{\pi }{4} + \frac{{2\pi }}{3}[/tex]

And we know that:
[tex]\sin \left( {\frac{\pi }{4}} \right) = \frac{{\sqrt 2 }}{2}[/tex]
[tex]\sin \left( {\frac{2\pi }{3}} \right) = \frac{{\sqrt 3 }}{2}[/tex]

But you cannot say now that:
[tex]\sin \left( {\frac{\pi }{4} + \frac{{2\pi }}{3}} \right) = \sin \left( {\frac{\pi }{4}} \right) + \sin \left( {\frac{{2\pi }}{3}} \right) = \frac{{\sqrt 2 }}{2} + \frac{{\sqrt 3 }}{2}[/tex]

That's wrong, you have to use [tex]\sin \left( {\alpha + \beta } \right) = \sin \left( \alpha \right) \cdot \cos \left( \beta \right) + \cos \left( \alpha \right) \cdot \sin \left( \beta \right)[/tex]

Just fill in the formula :smile:

so by plugging in cos...

I come up with:
cos11pi/12=-sq rt2/4(sq rt3+1)

That seems correct, [tex]\cos \left( {\frac{{11\pi }}{{12}}} \right) = - \frac{{\sqrt 2 }}{4}\left( {\sqrt 3 + 1} \right)[/tex]

Again, thank you for your assistance and patience.

:smile:

No problem, you were on the right track for a longer time but I didn't understand your notation at first hehe.

1. What is the value of sine of angle 11pi/12?

The value of sine of angle 11pi/12 is approximately -0.96593.

2. How do you find the value of cosine of angle 11pi/12?

The value of cosine of angle 11pi/12 can be found by using the formula cos(11pi/12) = sin(pi/2 - 11pi/12) = -sin(pi/3) = -sqrt(3)/2.

3. What is the tangent of angle 11pi/12?

The tangent of angle 11pi/12 is approximately -1.73205.

4. Can the values of sine, cosine, and tangent for angle 11pi/12 be simplified?

No, the values of sine, cosine, and tangent for angle 11pi/12 cannot be simplified any further, as they are already in their simplest form.

5. How do you use the unit circle to determine the values of sine, cosine, and tangent for angle 11pi/12?

The unit circle can be used to determine the values of sine, cosine, and tangent for angle 11pi/12 by finding the point on the unit circle that corresponds to this angle, and then using the coordinates of that point to calculate the values. In this case, the coordinates of the point on the unit circle for angle 11pi/12 are (-sqrt(3)/2, -1/2), which correspond to the values of cosine and sine, respectively. The tangent value can then be calculated by dividing the sine value by the cosine value.