What is the Solution to Simplifying Trig Expressions?

In summary, The conversation discusses the use of trigonometric identities and the concept of cancelling terms in expressions. It is important to remember the identities when simplifying trig expressions and to not use the term "cancel" without fully understanding it. Basic algebra skills are also necessary when working with fractions and rational expressions.
bobsmith76

Homework Statement

Screenshot2012-01-25at31748AM.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't see how the textbook gets from step 1 to step 2. If anything, the cosines cancel and the answer should be (sine^2)x

Physics news on Phys.org
bobsmith76 said:

Homework Statement

Screenshot2012-01-25at31748AM.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't see how the textbook gets from step 1 to step 2. If anything, the cosines cancel and the answer should be (sine^2)x

One of the best known trigonometric identities is : [itex]\cos^2 x + \sin^2 x = 1[/itex]. To see this, just draw a right angle triangle, with one of the acute angles marked x and the hypotenuse measuring 1 unit. One side (opposite angle x) measures sin x and the other side (adjacent to angle x) measures cos x. You can immediately see the identity with Pythagoras' Theorem.

Remember that [itex]\frac{a^2 + b^2}{a^2} \neq b^2[/itex]. Cancellation doesn't work that way. It is true, however that [itex]\frac{a^2b^2}{a^2} = b^2[/itex] (when a is nonzero).

thanks, trig identities, I forgot about them

(a-b)/a

You can't cancel a out unless you take the common factor out of parenthesis:

[a(1-b/a)]/a

Now you can cancel a's out and you will be left with 1-b/a

Another example:

(a-ab)/a= [a(1-b)]/a=1-b

To cancel you always have to get the common factor out of parenthesis.

bobsmith76 said:
thanks, trig identities, I forgot about them
You pretty much can't simplify trig expressions without having a few identities in mind, so I would advise you to spend some time reviewing them.

I would also advise reviewing basic algebra, particularly fractions and rational expressions, since you seem to have forgotten those concepts, as well. You should wipe the word "cancel" from your mind, since students who are uncertain about what this actually means are prone to making mistakes.

1. What is a trigonometric expression?

A trigonometric expression is a mathematical expression that contains trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, tangent, and their inverses. These functions involve ratios of the sides of a right triangle and are commonly used in geometry and physics.

2. Why do we need to simplify trigonometric expressions?

Simplifying trigonometric expressions can make them easier to work with and can reveal relationships between different trigonometric functions. It can also help in solving equations and proving identities.

3. What are the steps to simplify a trigonometric expression?

The steps to simplify a trigonometric expression include:
1. Use trigonometric identities to rewrite the expression
2. Simplify any complex fractions
3. Combine like terms
4. Use the unit circle or special triangles to simplify any trigonometric functions
5. Check your answer by plugging in values to the original expression.

4. Can all trigonometric expressions be simplified?

No, not all trigonometric expressions can be simplified. Some expressions may already be in their simplest form, while others may not have any known identities or simplifications.

5. What are some common mistakes when simplifying trigonometric expressions?

Some common mistakes when simplifying trigonometric expressions include:
- Not using the correct trigonometric identities
- Forgetting to simplify complex fractions
- Incorrectly combining like terms
- Making calculation errors
It is important to double-check your work and use a calculator or reference guide when needed.