Finding Volume Using the Sine Function and Disc Method

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume generated by revolving one arch of the curve y = 5 sin(x) about the x-axis. The attempted solution involves using the formula ∏r^2 for the volume and setting up the integral as 5∏∫[sin(x)]^2 from 0 to pi, but with a mistake of not squaring the 5. It is then clarified that ∏r^2 is not the volume of anything and the correct formula for the volume integral is ∏∫[y]^2dx.
cathy
Homework Statement

Find the volume generated by revolving one arch of the curve y = 5 sin(x) about the x-axis.

The attempt at a solution

So I figured this would create a disc so I would have to use that the volume is ∏r^2 where r=sinx, r^2= (sin(x))^2 and that the way I should set this up is as shown:

5∏∫[sin(x)]^2 from 0 to pi. And then I would replace that with the trig identities and so on. However, this is not giving me the correct answer. Is this integral wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cathy said:
Homework Statement

Find the volume generated by revolving one arch of the curve y = 5 sin(x) about the x-axis.

The attempt at a solution

So I figured this would create a disc so I would have to use that the volume is ∏r^2 where r=sinx, r^2= (sin(x))^2 and that the way I should set this up is as shown:

5∏∫[sin(x)]^2 from 0 to pi. And then I would replace that with the trig identities and so on. However, this is not giving me the correct answer. Is this integral wrong?

r = 5sin x. You forgot to square the 5.

And not to be pedantic, but ∏r^2 is not the volume of anything. The enclosed volume of a cylinder is ##\pi r^2h##, where h is the height. Applied here the volume integral is ##\pi\int_a^by^2dx##.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Oh! Thank you so much. I did this problem a million times, and it was such a simple mistake. :)

1. What is the sine function?

The sine function is a mathematical function that represents the ratio of the side opposite an angle in a right triangle to the hypotenuse. It is used to model periodic phenomena in mathematics and physics.

2. How is the sine function integrated?

The sine function can be integrated using various techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the function being integrated.

3. What is the purpose of integrating the sine function?

The purpose of integrating the sine function is to find the area under the curve of the function. This is useful in many applications, such as calculating the displacement of an object from its velocity function or finding the total charge over a period of time in an electrical circuit.

4. Can the sine function be integrated without limits?

Yes, the sine function can be integrated without limits, which is known as an indefinite integral. This results in a general form of the function, with a constant of integration included.

5. What are some real-life applications of integrating the sine function?

The sine function has numerous real-life applications, such as in engineering, physics, and astronomy. It is used to model simple harmonic motion, such as the motion of a pendulum or a spring, and to analyze the behavior of sound and light waves. It is also used in signal processing and image processing to remove noise and analyze data.