1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sine function integration

1. Feb 12, 2014 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the volume generated by revolving one arch of the curve y = 5 sin(x) about the x-axis.

The attempt at a solution

So I figured this would create a disc so I would have to use that the volume is ∏r^2 where r=sinx, r^2= (sin(x))^2 and that the way I should set this up is as shown:

5∏∫[sin(x)]^2 from 0 to pi. And then I would replace that with the trig identities and so on. However, this is not giving me the correct answer. Is this integral wrong?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2014 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

r = 5sin x. You forgot to square the 5.

And not to be pedantic, but ∏r^2 is not the volume of anything. The enclosed volume of a cylinder is ##\pi r^2h##, where h is the height. Applied here the volume integral is ##\pi\int_a^by^2dx##.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  4. Feb 12, 2014 #3
    Oh! Thank you so much. I did this problem a million times, and it was such a simple mistake. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted