1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sine wave separation.

1. Sep 7, 2012 #1
    Please forgive me, I don't really know how to properly ask my question, so I'll just do my best.

I want to learn how sound is processed. More specifically what math goes into figuring out what individual frequencies are within a single sound signal. Like if I had a recording of say 5 separate tones, how could I mathematically determine the individual frequencies and amplitudes?

I'm not sure what to even search for on google to learn more. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thank you.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2012 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should Google "Fourier Analysis" or "Fourier Transform." It sounds like that its what you are looking for.

4. Sep 8, 2012 #3

It isn't easy. Here is a start.

http://dsp.stackexchange.com/questions/370/what-mathematical-model-of-audio-can-make-possible-pitch-shifting-of-individual

5. Sep 8, 2012 #4
    Use MULTI-SIM or Pspice simulation software. Add 5 Sine waves with 5 different frequencies with 5 different amplitudes, you'll get one very weird looking wave. Run Fourier Transform of Multi-Sim on the weird wave pattern. The result will show 5 separate spikes on frequency axis with 5 different heights. They are the frequencies and amplitudes you used when added them together.

Your Fourier Math on paper will do the same thing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook