Solving Conduction Heat Wave in Metal Bar

In summary, a conduction heat wave is caused to pass through a metal bar of average temperature Tmean = 35.0 °C, altering its temperature sinusoidally with an amplitude of Ti = 2.0 °C. The equation which gives the temperature, T(x,t), of the metal bar at any place x (in meters) inside it at any time t (in seconds) is: T(x,t) = Tmean + Ti sin[ 2π(0.027t – 3.0x) + Co ]
roam

Homework Statement

A conduction heat wave is caused to pass through a metal bar of average temperature Tmean = 35.0 °C, altering its temperature sinusoidally with an amplitude of Ti = 2.0 °C. The equation which gives the temperature, T(x,t), of the metal bar at any place x (in meters) inside it at any time t (in seconds) is:

T(x,t) = Tmean + Ti sin[ 2π(0.027t – 3.0x) + Co ]

where Co = 1.0π.

(a) What is the amplitude of the wave? (b) What is the wavelength of the wave?

Homework Equations

• Speed of sound wave (where B is the bulk modulus and mu p is the pressure): [tex]v=\sqrt{\frac{B}{\rho}}[/tex]
  • Power of sinusoidal wave: [tex]P=\frac{1}{2} \mu \omega^2 A^2 v[/tex]
  • For sound traveling through air:[tex]v=(331)\sqrt{1+\frac{T_C}{273}}[/tex]

• Wave function for a sinusoidal wave: [tex]y=A sin(kx-\omega t)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand how to apprach this problem. For example for part (a), what formula can I use? Also how do I find the temprature using the given equation:

what values do I need to substitute for "x" and "t"?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
roam said:
Also how do I find the temprature using the given equation:

Where does it ask you to find the temperature? :confused:
roam said:
what values do I need to substitute for "x" and "t"?
The temperature is different at different positions and different times. To find the temperature at a specific point in space and at a specific time, you would substitute in the position coordinate (x) of that point in space, and the time coordinate t.

Part (a) asks you for the amplitude of the wave. Do you know what amplitude means? Do you know how to find it from a wave equation? For instance, the equation
[tex]y=A \sin(kx - \omega t)[/tex]
represents a wave. What would be the amplitude of that wave?

diazona said:
Part (a) asks you for the amplitude of the wave. Do you know what amplitude means? Do you know how to find it from a wave equation? For instance, the equation
[tex]y=A \sin(kx - \omega t)[/tex]
represents a wave. What would be the amplitude of that wave?

"A" represents the amplitude. But how should I find the amplitude in this particular problem? The equation given only describes the temprature not the wave.

Well, you know that
[tex]y(x,t)=A \sin(kx - \omega t)[/tex]
represents a wave, right? Do you also accept that
[tex]y(x,t) = y_\text{mean} + A \sin(kx - \omega t + \phi)[/tex]
represents a wave? (How would you find its amplitude?)

If so, what's the problem? The equation
[tex]T(x,t) = T_\text{mean} + T_i \sin[2\pi(0.027t - 3.0x) + C_0][/tex]
is exactly the same thing, just with different letters.

Thanks, I get it now. :smile:

Here's my last question: they further ask "What is the value of T(x,t) when t = 170.0 s, and x = 210.0 mm?"

I simply substituted the given values of "t" and "x" (along with other previously given values) into the equation:

T(x,t) = Tmean + Ti sin[ 2π(0.027t – 3.0x) + Co]

But the value I got was not the correct answer. Why is that? :confused:

did u convert into metres?

Killeregg said:
did u convert into metres?

40 mm = 0.04 m

[tex]37 sin(2 \pi (0.027(130)-3(0.04)+)\pi) = -23.5[/tex]

But the correct answer must be 33.7! Why??

1. What is conduction heat transfer?

Conduction heat transfer is the transfer of thermal energy through a material from a region of higher temperature to a region of lower temperature, without any bulk movement of the material itself.

2. How is conduction heat transfer related to metal bars?

Metal bars are good conductors of heat, meaning they allow thermal energy to flow through them easily. This makes them useful for solving conduction heat transfer problems, as the heat can be transferred efficiently through the bar.

3. What factors affect conduction heat transfer in metal bars?

The rate of conduction heat transfer in a metal bar is influenced by several factors, including the thermal conductivity of the metal, the cross-sectional area of the bar, and the temperature difference between the two ends of the bar.

4. How can conduction heat transfer be solved in metal bars?

The most common method for solving conduction heat transfer in metal bars is using the Fourier heat conduction equation, which relates the rate of heat transfer to the thermal conductivity, cross-sectional area, and temperature gradient of the bar.

5. What are some applications of solving conduction heat transfer in metal bars?

Solving conduction heat transfer in metal bars has many practical applications, including designing heating and cooling systems, determining the thermal insulation needed for buildings, and predicting the performance of electronic devices.