1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Singe Slit Diffraction

1. May 25, 2005 #1
    Hey, I have a problem here involving single slit diffraction, and it's stumped me.

A single slit is illuminated with a 660-nm light, and the resulting diffraction pattern is viewed on a screen 2.3 m away. If the linear distance between the first and second dark fringes is 12 cm, what is the width of the slit?

I want to use this formula to start me off:

y= L tan (theta)

But what value of y should I use? It can't be 12 cm, because that's defining the distance between those two dark fringes, not their distance to the central bright fringe.

Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The notation is a bit different, but take a look at the diagram and the equation here.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/fraungeo.html#c2

You have two different y values corresponding to two different values of m, and all you know is the difference between the y values. You can use the equations to take the difference between the y values for the two m values and relate that difference to the distance to the screen and the slit width.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?