Singer Fiona Apple arrested in Texas

• Thread starter SW VandeCarr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    apple
In summary: Likely a celebrity.Yes, she is highly likely to be a celebrity. I doubt very much that she would be stopped at an interior checkpoint like that if she wasn't famous.
Rootx said:
What I believe is that you are using different link which is different from the one Ivan posted.
The link I posted is linked from the middle of the page Ivan posted, right under the list of penalty categories, in this sentence:
"Also see our marijuana possession laws & defense page. The full Texas Controlled Substances act is here."

I'm willing to believe he misread the page/didn't see the link (like I'll grant you didn't), but I'm not so charitable in my assumptions about such a convenient mis-speak on which drug he was talking about.

I'm also unappreciative of being accused of malfesance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The OP was misleading, she had hashish, not just plain cannabis (marijuana).

Hashish is a paste or pressed into a cake, a very concentrated, potent concentrate of cannabis.

Hashish, often known as "hash", is a cannabis preparation composed of compressed and/or purified preparations of stalked resin glands, called trichomes, collected from the unfertilized buds of the cannabis plant. It contains the same active ingredients—such as THC and other cannabinoids—but in higher concentrations than unsifted buds or leaves.

Hashish is currently illegal to use or consume nearly everywhere in the world.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashish

russ_watters said:
I'm also unappreciative of being accused of malfesance.
Statements like these are detrimental to have a good discussion. I am not really interested in this kind of stuff :smile:. Let's Ivan speak for what he referred to as pot and if he was on correct page. I have already provided you my interpretation of Ivan post and this thread, and that's all about it.

Evo said:
The OP was misleading, she had hashish, not just plain cannabis (marijuana).

Hashish is a paste or pressed into a cake, a very concentrated, potent concentrate of cannabis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashish

Hashish, as the article says , is a concentrated form of cannabis. I made it clear in the early posts that that the find included marijuana and hashish and that possession of any amount of hashish is a felony in Texas. The OP was correct. The linked article identified the find as hashish, a form of cannabis. If it was just marijuana, I would have said so.

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
Hashish, as the article says , is a concentrated form of cannabis. I made it clear in the early posts that that the find included marijuana and hashish and that possession of any amount of hashish is a felony in Texas. The OP was correct. The linked article identified the find as "cannabis"
The aticle says
The singer-songwriter had 4 grams of hashish
and other news reports were quite clear that she was arrested for hashish, which is a felony. Hashish is nothing like regular marijuana. Unfortunately a number of posters went on the assumption it was just pot, and that's not the case at all. We just need to make sure the facts are clear and that members that aren't clear are corrected.

Evo said:
The aticle says and other news reports were quite clear that she was arrested for hashish, which is a felony. Hashish is nothing like regular marijuana. Unfortunately a number of posters went on the assumption it was just pot, and that's not the case at all. We just need to make sure the facts are clear and that members that aren't clear are corrected.

The article says:

"The singer-songwriter had 4 grams of hashish, a form of cannabis".

All anyone had to do was read the linked article in the first post. Later posts clearly indicated that hashish possession is a felony. Perhaps I should have said hashish in the first post, but I was not aware that possession of 4 grams of hashish is a felony in Texas. When I learned of it, I posted it (post 6 edit, post 10 and post 20).

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest...s-caught-carrying-hashish-in-West-Texas-video

Last edited:
Lord, hash is just the resin from pot plants. It is all the same thing.

Ivan Seeking said:
Lord, hash is just the resin from pot plants. It is all the same thing.
And heroin and opium are just resin from poppies, it's all the same thing...NOT.

Evo said:
And heroin and opium are just resin from poppies, it's all the same thing...NOT.

The distinction is trivial. It is the same active chemical. The effects are the same.

You don't get high by smelling or eating a poppy flower, but you do get high from smoking or eating pot.

E cigarettes are to cigarettes what hash is to pot. Same thing. You are just smoking the oil instead of the plant fiber loaded with the oil.

Evo said:

I had to look up the pot definition in post #35. You can see it yourself pot refers to both marijuana and hashish.

Could you post that link please.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pot

n
(Law / Recreational Drugs) Slang cannabis used as a drug in any form, such as leaves (marijuana or hemp) or resin (hashish)
[perhaps shortened from Mexican Indian potiguaya]

It's difficult to go by slang given regionality but in the UK you won't hear hash referred to as weed.

Personally I'm still of the opinion that drug offences don't deserve prison sentences. In fact the only reason one should be sent to prison IMO is because one is a physical threat to the public and property.

Austin, the state capital of Texas, is somewhat paradoxically considered to be a "liberal island" in a generally conservative state. The main campus of the University of Texas is located there (50,000 students) and it is an internationally known music center with many live bands performing year around. In March it hosts the South by Southwest music festival where leading performers from all over the world appear. Not surprisingly there is also an active and not particularly hidden illegal drug culture. Travis County (Austin) is one of two jurisdictions in Texas where the police generally opt to cite rather than arrest suspected violators of substance abuse laws depending on the violation and circumstances.

If only FA had made it to Austin, she might have been "safe". But she didn't so now she's a felon. She hasn't been convicted (yet) but according to the law, she has no realistic defense. Since she was released on $10000 bail, she might be able to arrange a plea bargain from out of state in lieu of forfeiting her bail. Apparently this is commonly done, but a felony conviction will likely remain on her record.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Places...zed_non-medical_cannabis_in_the_United_States

http://www.meetup.com/aficionados/

Last edited:
Evo said:
Not really a good analogy. Heroin is chemical drug. Morphin (which is only one constituent of opium) chemicaly reacts with some alcohool and you get diamorfin.
As Ivan sad, hasheesh and pot (marihuana) are the same thing. In fact, here in europe pot is known to be stronger than hashish in recent years.

xAxis said:
As Ivan sad, hasheesh and pot (marihuana) are the same thing. In fact, here in europe pot is known to be stronger than hashish in recent years.
No they are not the same thing.

A more modern method of producing hashish is through alcohol extraction. In this method cannabis plants are ground up and covered in isopropyl alcohol or butane and left to sit. The resulting mixture is then evaporated off the alcohol leaving the active terpenoid and terpene compounds which can be used immediately or cooked into bricks.

And hashish is much stronger.
Hashish has much more of the chemical THC (which is a short form for "delta-9-tetra-hydro-cannabinol") than marijuana. THC is the chemical (or drug) which causes people who take hashish or marijuana to feel euphoria (happy). Hashish is a much stronger drug than marijuana

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashish#Effects

But this thread has gone off topic talking ablout the drugs when the OP is about some entertainer getting caught commiting a felony. If there is nothing else to say about the arrest itself, tyhen we can close the theread.