Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Singing~ I wanna feel your body

1. Nov 26, 2004 #1
    I'm bored. I want to meet someone. Who lives in Arizona and posts here? I'm not talking about a sexual meeting, just want to see someone. For all I know there are only two people who post here: me and someone posing as everyone else.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2004 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That raises another related question, has anyone here ever met up with another PFer in real life? I mean other than those you knew before coming here and got hooked on the site with you.

One of my friends met her husband online, he's an admin of an even geekier board than this one (and in real life, it's completely obvious why the board is so geeky). At their wedding, they had a number of people attend who they were meeting in real life for the first time, but were good internet friends (okay, to me that might be a bit too far...no offense anyone, but if I'm going to meet you in real life, I'm not coughing up a wedding gift on our first meeting).

It would be cool to have some local gatherings of PFers. For instance, I know Gokul lives only about 2 hours from where I live. Maybe there are others within a reasonable driving distance of either Cincinnati or Columbus that we could get together for a PF gathering one evening or weekend. Who knows, maybe some of you all are in the same classes or universities or run into each other in the same conferences and don't even know it!

tribdog, I've never explored any of the southwestern part of the US, so if I get that job at A&M, I'll definitely be planning some road trips to nearby states. And I already know there are a handful of people in the general vicinity of A&M as well, so we'll have to get together if I move there too!

4. Nov 26, 2004 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I talk to Zooby on the phone sometimes, but we have never met in person.

I know there's a big PF cluster on Oregon, but I don't know if those folks have ever met up. if we ever had a PF party somewhere Vegas, I might be willing to fly out.

5. Nov 26, 2004 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Oregon Mentors (Myself & wife, Ivan & Tsu, Kerrie & Husband, and Janus) finally got together over coffee and brew a few weeks ago. It was very enjoyable evening. We are all looking forward to doing it again.

Ivan and I first got together something over a year ago so we are getting to be old friends!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  6. Nov 26, 2004 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That sounds really cool!

I think I'll toss in one caveat about meetings for the safety of our younger members...if you're under 18, please don't meet in person with someone you only know online unless you're accompanied by a parent or guardian or go in a large group to a public location! There are predators out there, and while I don't want to believe they would be members of PF, you really can never be certain, so play it safe.

End of public service announcement.

7. Nov 26, 2004 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Moonbear,

That is a very important warning. Ivan and I first met in a public place, (Home Depot and Hot dogs!)

8. Nov 26, 2004 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My older daughter (the one that was online last night, she's not the one I use as my avatar sometimes) met her current boyfriend through the internet. He lived in another state, but it turned out that his aunt and uncle are both professors at the University here and he relocated to be with her. My younger daughter met another girl that lives nearby but attends a different school, and they're very close friends now. You can meet really nice, wonderful people online.

The internet allows you meet to meet great people with similar interests that just wouldn't be possible otherwise. The problem is that they're often not near you. :frown:

Good warning Moonbear, I think using a bit of common sense is necessary.

[​IMG]

9. Nov 26, 2004 #8
    Thanks for answering my question. sheesh. I'm used to being ignored on other peoples threads but I started this one, that should count for somthing.

10. Nov 26, 2004 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We're not ignoring you, just helping to keep the thread near the top of the list until someone from AZ shows up. :biggrin:

11. Nov 26, 2004 #10
    lol, how considerate. Forgive me.

12. Nov 26, 2004 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just remember who your friends are when you win the lottery. :rofl:

13. Nov 26, 2004 #12
    When I was in college in Oregon my roommate and I would buy a lottery ticket every week. This one guy who lived in the dorms as well would walk by our room right before the drawing and throw a dime through our door and say "I get 10%" I hated him.

14. Nov 26, 2004 #13
    I think I'm the only one from South Carolina here.

15. Nov 26, 2004 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you and someone else split a lottery ticket and it won, could you refund their 50 cents and not have to split the prize?

You went to college in Oregon? How many PFers here have been in OR? Is this website address written all over the bathroom walls there or something?

16. Nov 26, 2004 #15
    lol, probably. I've been to South Carolina and I'd be suprised if anyone from there showed up here.

17. Nov 26, 2004 #16
    It doesn't mean much. I went to college at Weber State University, Utah, Mesa Community College-Arizona, UNR-Nevada, BSU-Idaho, SOSC-Oregon.

18. Nov 26, 2004 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A little trouble with committment? :rofl:

19. Nov 26, 2004 #18
    lol, I kept getting kicked out of the dorms. (true)
    I like to see new places.(true)
    My professors were just jealous of my genius.(what do you think)

20. Nov 26, 2004 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, I was guessing it might have been the hoard of angry women chasing you out of town with torches and pitchforks. Or maybe that's what #1 on your list was all about. :rofl:

21. Nov 27, 2004 #20

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Janitor's the only one here that I know is from AZ.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?