Can a Single Acting Spring Loaded Cylinder Launch a 1kg Body 5cm Upward?

• Thread starter MadaraUchiha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cylinder
In summary, the single acting spring loaded cylinder will generate a force of 780 Newton when air is pressurized to 100 psi. It can throw a body weighing 1kg 5 cm away from the rod end straight up into the air.
MadaraUchiha
Hey guys
im planing on buying this single acting spring loaded cylinder with specs

BORE, 1 1/2"
STROKE, 5"
PORT, 1/4" NPT
ROD DIAMETER, 1/2"
ROD THREADS, MALE 1/2"-20, THREADS ARE 1 3/4" LONG

If i supply it with air at 100 psi
what force would it generate ?
and how far can it throw a body weighning 1kg, 5 cm away from rod end straight up into air ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
what force would it generate ?

The bore is known so you can work out the area of the piston (in square inches). The pressure (in pounds per square inch) acting on the piston is known so you can easily work out the force (in pounds) acting on the piston.

how far can it throw a body weighning 1kg

Using Newtons laws (eg F=ma) you can work out the acceleration the force would produce.

You also know the stroke so you can work out the distance over which the force is applied to the object.

Then (assuming the acceleration is constant) apply the SUVAT equations to work out the final velocity (eg the launch velocity).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equations_of_motion#SUVAT_equations

Then knowing the launch velocity you can apply the SUVAT equations again to work out how high it will go.

The answer won't be exact because you don't know how much friction there is in the piston.

Likes 1 person
CWatters said:
You also know the stroke so you can work out the distance over which the force is applied to the object.

Then (assuming the acceleration is constant) apply the SUVAT equations to work out the final velocity (eg the launch velocity).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equations_of_motion#SUVAT_equations

Then knowing the launch velocity you can apply the SUVAT equations again to work out how high it will go.

The answer won't be exact because you don't know how much friction there is in the piston.

Thanks,
I did but the answers just didnt seem right maybe i mixed up imperial and metric units (i want the answer in metric)...
Tell me if I am doing this right.

Bore= 1.5 inch = 0.0381 m
Area= pi* (o.0381/2)^2 = 3.14*0.00036 = 0.0011 m^2

Force=PressurexArea
Pressure= 100 psi=689476 pascals
So F= 689476*0.0011= ~780 Newton

Now F=ma
=>780=1*a
a=780 m/s/s

using v^2-u^2=2gh
here h= 5inch stroke = 0.127
since load is 5 cm away, h=0.127-0.05
h=0.077 m
at end of stroke
h=0.077m, g=9.8m/s/s, u=0 and v= to be calculated

So now do i use g=9.8 or the one calculated using f=ma i.e. 780 m/ss ? :confused:

Bore= 1.5 inch = 0.0381 m
Area= pi* (o.0381/2)^2 = 3.14*0.00036 = 0.0011 m^2

Force=PressurexArea
Pressure= 100 psi=689476 pascals
So F= 689476*0.0011= ~780 Newton

Now F=ma
=>780=1*a
a=780 m/s/s

Ok so far.

using v^2-u^2=2gh
here h= 5inch stroke = 0.127
since load is 5 cm away, h=0.127-0.05
h=0.077 m
at end of stroke
h=0.077m, g=9.8m/s/s, u=0 and v= to be calculated

The acceleration during the piston stroke is "a" not "g" so the equation should be..

V2= U2 + 2as

where
V= Velocity at end of stroke
U= Velocity at start of stroke = 0
a = 780m/s/s
s = 0.077m

so the launch velocity V is

V2= + 2*780*0.077
= 120m/s

That's rather fast so it might not be possible to ignore the effects of friction in the bore of the piston and air resistance of the projectile. Anyway...

So now you have the launch velocity you need to work out the height it will go to. You use the same equation modified because now the acceleration is that of gravity..

V2= U2 + 2gh

V=0 (it stops at the top)
U=120m/s
g=-9.8m/s/s
h = height you are trying to find

So

h = 1202/(2*9.8)
=734m

This is an upper limit. In addition to friction losses I can see another problem that might reduce this.. Will the valve and pipework that turns on the gas be able to deliver and maintain 100psi during the stroke? If it let's gas into the cylinder relatively slowly the piston will start moving but won't accelerate as fast. I suggest you work out the time it should take the piston to travel the 5" and make sure the valve can open fully in say 1/10th of that time.

Sorry I had to edit this post a bit.

Likes 1 person
for reaching out with your question about single acting cylinders. To determine the force generated by this cylinder, we need to use the formula F = P x A, where F is the force, P is the pressure (100 psi or 6.89 bar in this case), and A is the area of the piston. In this case, the area of the piston is 1.767 square inches (calculated using the formula A = π x (diameter/2)^2). So the force generated by this cylinder would be approximately 176.7 pounds (801.7 N).

As for the distance it can throw a 1kg body, we would also need to consider the weight of the piston and rod, as well as any friction or resistance in the system. However, assuming ideal conditions, the force generated by the cylinder could lift a 1kg body 5 cm into the air. It's important to note that this is just a rough estimation and the actual distance may vary depending on various factors.

I hope this helps in your decision-making process. If you have any further questions or need clarification on anything, please don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your purchase!

1. What is a single acting cylinder?

A single acting cylinder is a type of pneumatic or hydraulic cylinder that uses pressure from a fluid to move in only one direction. It typically has a single port for the fluid to enter and exit, and a spring or other mechanism to return the cylinder to its original position.

2. How does a single acting cylinder work?

A single acting cylinder works by applying pressurized fluid, such as air or oil, to one side of a piston. This creates a force that moves the piston in one direction, while a spring or other mechanism returns the piston to its original position when the pressure is released.

3. What are the advantages of using a single acting cylinder?

One advantage of using a single acting cylinder is its simplicity, as it only requires one fluid input and does not require complex valving. It also tends to be more compact and less expensive than a double acting cylinder. Single acting cylinders are also easier to control and maintain, and can still provide a significant amount of force.

4. What are the common applications of single acting cylinders?

Single acting cylinders are commonly used in applications where there is a need for linear motion in one direction, such as in lifting, pushing, or pulling objects. They are also frequently used in manufacturing, construction, and transportation industries, as well as in automation and robotics.

5. How do I choose the right single acting cylinder for my needs?

When choosing a single acting cylinder, it is important to consider factors such as the required force and speed, the operating environment, and the type of fluid being used. It is also important to ensure that the cylinder is compatible with the rest of the system and that it meets any safety or regulatory requirements.