The Mystery of the Single Atom: Solid, Gas, or Liquid?

In summary: Yes, but it's only an "idea". The key is in the word "normally", I think. In interstellar space, the atoms are not in a normal environment. The lack of pressure and density, combined with the effects of stellar radiation, allows for the atoms to behave differently than they would in a more typical environment. Therefore, they may not exhibit the properties of a solid, gas, or liquid, but rather a combination of these states.
mee
If there is a single atom of water or some substance, can it have the properties of a solid gas or liquid? Or is it a separate state?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the states of matter the properties of interaction between particles within that matter, I'm fairly certain that a single atom cannot be considered to exhibit the properties of any of these states.

Much like people, atoms are not considered to have an identity if they are single.

I'm sorry... did that sound a little bitter?

LURCH said:
Since the states of matter the properties of interaction between particles within that matter, I'm fairly certain that a single atom cannot be considered to exhibit the properties of any of these states.

Much like people, atoms are not considered to have an identity if they are single.

I'm sorry... did that sound a little bitter?

Could this mean that much of the interstellar "gas" is the no-state of singular atoms?

mee said:
Could this mean that much of the interstellar "gas" is the no-state of singular atoms?

I've never before heard of a single atom of water, but I have heard of a single molecule of water. How do we make a single atom of water?

what_are_electrons said:
I've never before heard of a single atom of water, but I have heard of a single molecule of water. How do we make a single atom of water?

Alright smarty.

mee said:
Alright smarty.

Sorry! Meant to tease just a wee little bit.

what_are_electrons said:
Sorry! Meant to tease just a wee little bit.

Thanks. :)

mee said:

I think that by using (or thinking) the term "interstellar", we automatically set our thoughts to a very large scale. On this scale, the individual atoms in interstellar space do occasionally collide. In these collisions, the atoms behave as they would in a gass, so the interstellar medium is indeed a very thin gass.

LURCH said:
I think that by using (or thinking) the term "interstellar", we automatically set our thoughts to a very large scale. On this scale, the individual atoms in interstellar space do occasionally collide. In these collisions, the atoms behave as they would in a gass, so the interstellar medium is indeed a very thin gass.

Any idea why this would be if they are at temperatures that would normally make them a solid?

Can a V-6 engine get me from here to Chicago? No if it is stand-alone. Yes if it is part of a car.

Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

reilly said:
Can a V-6 engine get me from here to Chicago? No if it is stand-alone. Yes if it is part of a car.

Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

I'm not sure I understand Reilly. A bit obscure.

One of the properties of solid gas and liquids is their temperature, so I suppose you could consider a -100 degree single molecule of H2O as a molecule of ice and a 200 degree single molecule of H2O as a molecule of vapor. But frankly, states of mater are best defined when you have a bunch of molecules, or else a single C could be either graphite or diamond.

A molecule can be said to possesses temperature though, best expressed as energy.

Gonzolo said:
One of the properties of solid gas and liquids is their temperature, so I suppose you could consider a -100 degree single molecule of H2O as a molecule of ice and a 200 degree single molecule of H2O as a molecule of vapor. But frankly, states of mater are best defined when you have a bunch of molecules, or else a single C could be either graphite or diamond.

A molecule can be said to possesses temperature though, best expressed as energy.

So the potentially freezing, and therefore probably solid, interstellar medium is a gas?

You could say that, a gas or a plasma or perhaps a combination of both. Interstellar atoms can be affected by stellar radiation (cosmic rays etc.), so they make a gas or a plasma, depending on where there are (what kind of ray bombardment it receives).

H2O molecules in interstellar space for example obviously need to meet other to form solid ice, but such a meeting doesn't happen as often as it could on Earth (low density and pressure), so until then they remain a very cold gas that has the potential to form ice. Each molecule may collide with other stuff that give them energy or ionize them (photon) or that destroy them (perhaps cosmic ray particles) before meeting other H2O, but meeting other H2O first could make them become a small chunk of ice (Comets are ice, how do they form?). Whether a random interstellar molecule spends most of its life ionised (unit of plasma) or not (unit of gas) I am not sure, but I would say probably a gas.

Gonzolo said:
You could say that, a gas or a plasma or perhaps a combination of both. Interstellar atoms can be affected by stellar radiation (cosmic rays etc.), so they make a gas or a plasma, depending on where there are (what kind of ray bombardment it receives).

H2O molecules in interstellar space for example obviously need to meet other to form solid ice, but such a meeting doesn't happen as often as it could on Earth (low density and pressure), so until then they remain a very cold gas that has the potential to form ice. Each molecule may collide with other stuff that give them energy or ionize them (photon) or that destroy them (perhaps cosmic ray particles) before meeting other H2O, but meeting other H2O first could make them become a small chunk of ice (Comets are ice, how do they form?). Whether a random interstellar molecule spends most of its life ionised (unit of plasma) or not (unit of gas) I am not sure, but I would say probably a gas.

Thanks Gonzolo. :)

mee said:
Any idea why this would be if they are at temperatures that would normally make them a solid?

Yes, but it's only an "idea". The key is in the word "normally", I think. In interstellar space, atoms are in an environment of very low (almost no) pressure. Lowering pressure reduces the boiling point of a substance, near-vacuum makes things boil or evaporate at temps where they would freeze under more familliar conditions. But this is only a geuss on my part.

1. What is the mystery of the single atom?

The mystery of the single atom refers to the question of whether a single atom can exist in a solid, gas, or liquid state, as traditionally these states of matter are associated with a collection of atoms rather than just one.

2. Why is this question important?

This question is important because it challenges our understanding of the fundamental properties of matter and the behavior of individual atoms. It also has practical applications in fields such as nanotechnology and materials science.

3. What is the current scientific consensus on this mystery?

The current scientific consensus is that a single atom can exist in a solid, gas, or liquid state, depending on the conditions and environment it is in. Recent experiments have shown that individual atoms can be cooled and confined to form a solid or made to vibrate to behave like a gas or liquid.

4. How is the mystery of the single atom being studied?

The mystery of the single atom is being studied through various experiments using techniques such as laser cooling and trapping, as well as computer simulations. Scientists are also using advanced tools like atomic force microscopy to observe and manipulate individual atoms.

5. What are the potential implications of solving this mystery?

If this mystery is solved, it could lead to a better understanding of the behavior of matter at the atomic level, which could have applications in fields such as quantum computing and new materials development. It could also open up new possibilities for manipulating and controlling individual atoms for various purposes.