1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Single body gravitation

1. Apr 22, 2010 #1
    Greetings everyone,

I am a first time poster. I suppose that my initial post will be slightly non-scientific.

This question would seem to to be related to the question asking "Does some event happen if no one is there to observe the happening?"

If the contents of the universe consisted of only one single planetary body, would that body exert a gravitational field?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2010 #2
    Welcome to Physics Forums.

Yes. The fact that the planet exists is evidence that it has a gravitational field. Gravity is what causes planets to form and it is what holds them together. It would not make any sense for a planet to form and then it's gravity disappear. If that happened it would probably break apart and would no longer be considered a planet.

4. Apr 22, 2010 #3
    Ah, I did not take into account that gravity acts on the individual particles that constitute the planet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook