1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Single-click or double-click?

1. Apr 15, 2005 #1
    Why the difference?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2005 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Pretend all the icons on your desktop only requird one click. After you accidently activated all your programs a few dozen times throughout a few days, then you'll understand why 2 clicks are needed.

4. Apr 15, 2005 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's just a convention, of course.

Single-clicking is normally indicates selection. Single-clicking does not perform any operations, it just registers a selection. If you have a window full of icons representing files, selecting an icon doesn't do anything but change focus to that icon. The focus is usually indicated by some kind of highlighting.

Double-clicking normally performs some operation on the selection. In the case of file icons, it opens the file in the appropriate program.

- Warren

5. Apr 15, 2005 #4
    I have my computer setup to single click icons to open them. However, I have only a few icons on my desktop, and am almost always in full screen for programs. I like it :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?