Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Single-click or double-click?

1. Apr 15, 2005 #1
    Why the difference?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2005 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Pretend all the icons on your desktop only requird one click. After you accidently activated all your programs a few dozen times throughout a few days, then you'll understand why 2 clicks are needed.

4. Apr 15, 2005 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's just a convention, of course.

Single-clicking is normally indicates selection. Single-clicking does not perform any operations, it just registers a selection. If you have a window full of icons representing files, selecting an icon doesn't do anything but change focus to that icon. The focus is usually indicated by some kind of highlighting.

Double-clicking normally performs some operation on the selection. In the case of file icons, it opens the file in the appropriate program.

- Warren

5. Apr 15, 2005 #4
    I have my computer setup to single click icons to open them. However, I have only a few icons on my desktop, and am almost always in full screen for programs. I like it :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?