1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Single Coil-Loop

1. Oct 13, 2013 #1
    A single-coil loop of radius r = 6.50 mm, shown below, is formed in the middle of an infinitely long, thin, insulated straight wire carrying the current i = 29.0 mA. What is the magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the loop?

B(loop)= μ_0_*I/2R
    B(wire)= μ_0_*I/2pi*d
    Superposition Principle: Bnet= ƩB

Initially, I only used B(loop) to try to find the answer but that was wrong and my hw gave me a hint about using the Superposition Principle. I can find the B(loop) but what I don't know is how to find d for the B(wire).

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can use B(wire) at the distance r=radius of loop ... and work your way around the loop, adding a contribution for each segment of the loop.

By symmetry all of the contributions are the same, except that they have different orientations.

You are only required to provide an answer for the center of the loop ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted