1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Single molecule fluorescence

1. Jun 9, 2010 #1
    Hi,

I'm doing some calculations on fluorescence and I'm a little stuck on statistics.
    Let's say I need to measure 20 seconds to collect 10000 photons from a single molecule.
    Then I can say well I want to measure at most 1 second and therefore I need 20 molecules in order to collect 10000 photons in that second.

Is this way of thinking reasonable? Or do I need to take into account some statistics with S/N ratio and say: Poisson distribution.

I can't find any sources to found this reasoning.

Thanks in advance,

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2010 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

4. Jun 9, 2010 #3
    Ok. Let me make myself more clear.
    I know it's about high resolution that's the reason I use these.
    The problem is, the molecule can only emit for about 1 second and then it is destroyed.
    So I take more molecules, which results indeed in less spatial resolution, to collect the needed amount of photons in the range of the 'lifetime' of the molecules (1second).
    But what I was wondering, can I divide the time (t) it takes for 1 molecule to emit 'theoretically' the amount of photons by x molecules and say these molecules will emit the same amount of photons in t/x seconds.
    Or do I need to take some statistics into account before I can simply state this?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook