Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Single or Dual graphic cards ?

1. Feb 6, 2010 #1

Does anybody know if it's better to have a single graphic card or a dual graphic cards?

As an example :

Single 1.8 GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 295 or Dual 1.8 GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 260

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2010 #2
    The answer is dependent on what size monitor you're using and the resolutions you're wanting to run. At really high resolutions on a large monitor, a dual card setup would yield better performance (if the game supports it). It really makes a difference when you start ramping up anti-aliasing and anistropic filtering.

Do a google search for gtx 295 vs 260 sli and see what the benchmarks say. Take note of the fps vs resolution.
  4. Feb 7, 2010 #3
    The value for money matters here, see the benchmark for graphs card which cost twice to that of GTX 260 and then compare the performance of GTX 260 in SLI.

Give ATI a shot also...they crossfire instead and better value for money here.
  5. Feb 7, 2010 #4
  6. Feb 9, 2010 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just an aside, if you are running 32 bit windows adding a another graphic card will reduce the amount of ram available to windows. 32 bit windows has a hard cap of 4 gigs of ram it can use. GPU memory counts toward this cap.
  7. Feb 11, 2010 #6
    My screen is a 21.5 inches alienware aw2210 optx HD so I guess it'll be alright with a single card!
  8. Feb 11, 2010 #7
    ...and my system is windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook