What is the dependence on w of intensity in single slit diffraction?

In summary, The conversation is about a question involving monochromatic light passing through a slit and the resulting intensity as a function of a parameter w. The question presents multiple choice options and the correct answer is determined to be option (B) based on the phasor derivation method. The conversation also briefly mentions the use of geometrical phasor derivation and the notation for transmission coefficient, denoted as 't'.
neelakash

Homework Statement

Interesting Problem...

monochromatic light of wavelength [tex]\lambda[/tex] falls on a slit and is transmitted as

t=1 for 0<x<(d/2)
t=-1 for (-d/2)<x<0
t=0 otherwise...

Define [tex]\ w [/tex]=[tex]\ k(d/2) [/tex][tex]\sin[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex]...[most possibly,if I can exactly remember...]

Now what should be the dependence on w of Intensity [tex]\I(\theta)[/tex]?

It was a multiple choice question and a number of options were given...

(A) [tex]\frac{sin^2 \omega}{\omega^2}[/tex]

(B) [tex]\frac{sin^2 \frac{\omega}{2}}{\omega^2}[/tex]

(C) [tex]\frac{cos^2 \omega}{\omega^2}[/tex]

(D) [tex]\frac{sin\omega}{\omega}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(B) seems plausible to me as it considers w/2...Note that in this particular problem,the phasor amplitudes are different about the centre.If you take the geometrical point of view,the phasor vectors will be a bit different than they are shown normally.
[I do not know which classical book uses the geometrical phasor derivation...I saw it in Resnick Halliday Krane's fifth volume.]

Physics news on Phys.org
What is 't'? I'm not familiar with this notation.

t is transmission co-efficient

neelakash said:
(B) seems plausible to me as it considers w/2...
Answer (B) is correct.

Ok

Any better argument?

Exactly,I was talking of this derivation.

1. What is single slit diffraction?

Single slit diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when a wave, such as light or sound, passes through a narrow slit and spreads out into a pattern of alternating dark and bright fringes on a screen or surface. This is due to the wave bending or diffracting around the edges of the slit, creating interference patterns.

2. How does the width of the slit affect the diffraction pattern?

The width of the slit has a direct impact on the diffraction pattern. A narrower slit will result in a wider diffraction pattern with more distinct fringes, while a wider slit will produce a narrower pattern with less defined fringes. This is because a narrower slit causes more diffraction to occur, leading to more interference and a wider spread of the wave.

3. What is the difference between single slit and double slit diffraction?

In single slit diffraction, the wave passes through a single narrow slit, resulting in a pattern of alternating bright and dark fringes. In double slit diffraction, the wave passes through two narrow slits, creating multiple interference patterns that overlap and produce a more complex pattern of fringes.

4. What are some real-life applications of single slit diffraction?

Single slit diffraction is commonly used in various scientific fields, such as optics, acoustics, and radio waves. It is also used in everyday objects, such as CD/DVD players, where the laser beam passes through a single slit to create the diffraction pattern that reads the data on the disc.

5. How does the distance between the slit and the screen affect the diffraction pattern?

The distance between the slit and the screen also affects the diffraction pattern. As the distance increases, the diffraction pattern becomes wider and the fringes become more spread out. This is because the wave has had more space to diffract and spread before reaching the screen, resulting in a larger pattern.