Single-slit diffraction diffraction pattern

In summary: So you can work out the number of bands on one side, and then double it to include the other side.In summary, the single slit diffraction pattern with monochromatic light has its 6th minimum occurring at an angle of 23° from the central maximum. Using the formula asin(theta)=mlambda, we can determine the value of (n), the number of the minimum. From there, we can use the formula sin θ = (n) λ/W to calculate the value of λ/W, which will give us the maximum value of (n). By doubling this value, we can determine the number of bright bands on either side of the central band, with the closest answer being 14 (C).
drawar

Homework Statement

A single slit forms a diffraction pattern with monochromatic light. The 6th minimum of the
pattern occurs at an angle of 23° from the central maximum. The number of bright bands on
either side of the central band is closest to:
A) 16 B) 13 C) 14 D) 15 E) 17

Homework Equations

asin(theta)=mlambda

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly I have no idea how to do this. Using the data given, I can only set up one equation with 2 unknowns, which is impossible to solve. On top of that I am unable to deduce a relationship between maxima and minima in a single-slit diffraction. I hope someone would throw me some light on this, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
drawar said:

Homework Statement

A single slit forms a diffraction pattern with monochromatic light. The 6th minimum of the
pattern occurs at an angle of 23° from the central maximum. The number of bright bands on
either side of the central band is closest to:
A) 16 B) 13 C) 14 D) 15 E) 17

Homework Equations

asin(theta)=mlambda

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly I have no idea how to do this. Using the data given, I can only set up one equation with 2 unknowns, which is impossible to solve. On top of that I am unable to deduce a relationship between maxima and minima in a single-slit diffraction. I hope someone would throw me some light on this, thanks!

There is a formula governing the angle to each minimum which is something like

sin θ = (n) λ/W

where is the wavelength of light, and W is the width of the slit, and n is a count of the number of the minimum - so would be 6 here; for the 6th minimum.

Your formula looks like a transformation of that to W sin θ = (n)λ

Anyhow, once you have established the value of λ/W, you can work out the maximum value of (n) - since the sinθ has a maximum value of 1.

What is a single-slit diffraction pattern?

A single-slit diffraction pattern is a pattern of light and dark bands that results from light passing through a narrow slit. The light waves bend and interfere with each other, creating a pattern of constructive and destructive interference.

What factors affect the appearance of a single-slit diffraction pattern?

The appearance of a single-slit diffraction pattern is affected by the wavelength of the light, the width of the slit, and the distance between the slit and the screen where the pattern is observed. The pattern will also change if the light source is monochromatic or polychromatic.

What is the difference between single-slit diffraction and double-slit interference?

Single-slit diffraction and double-slit interference are both phenomena that occur when light passes through narrow openings. The main difference is that single-slit diffraction produces a single pattern of light and dark bands, while double-slit interference produces multiple patterns that overlap and create a more complex interference pattern.

How is the intensity of the diffraction pattern affected by the width of the slit?

The intensity of the diffraction pattern decreases as the width of the slit increases. This is because a wider slit allows more light to pass through, resulting in a less pronounced pattern of interference. A narrower slit will produce a more intense and defined diffraction pattern.

How does the distance between the slit and the screen affect the diffraction pattern?

The distance between the slit and the screen affects the size of the diffraction pattern. As the distance increases, the pattern becomes wider and less intense. When the distance is very large compared to the width of the slit, the pattern becomes so spread out that it is no longer visible.