1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Single Slit Diffraction

1. Oct 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the wavelength of the light whose first diffraction max (not counting the central max) falls at 15°,thus coinciding with the first min for red light?Width of slit=2510 nm."
    It is an example problem from Halliday Resnik Krane..In which the they use the principle that max occurs half way b/w two min.and used the angles for two minimas as 10°and 20°.How can u arbitrarily choose two angles?IN this way cant u use 5° and 25°?But then wavelength would be wrong..What is the significance of these two angles :10° and 20°?

This wasnt a homework question.It was a solved exercise In the Book Physics by Halliday,Resnick,Krane.How can I show my attempt when it is already solved in the book?I just couldn't comprehend the solution fully.So I asked the question..BTW its answer is wavelength violet =430..
    and we use the formula λ'=1/2(2510)(sin20°)=430nm

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted