1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Single slit Diffraction

1. Sep 19, 2005 #1
    A single slit diffracts laser light of wavelength 610 nm onto a screen 2.25 m away. The distance between the two first-order maxima on either side of the central peak is 4.00 mm. How wide is the slit?

Anyone give me some help? i got an answer of .001029m and apparently this isnt correct. i used the formula for locating the minima [tex]a\cdot \sin(\theta) = (\lambda)[/tex] . Since the second minima is located where [tex](\lambda)[/tex] is multiplied by 2. i multiplied the equation on the right side by 3/2 assuming the maxima would be found between both minima.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2005 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The question doesn't ask you about the second minima. It asks about the first minima.

4. Sep 19, 2005 #3
    No, the question asks about the first order maxima and it would not make sense for it to be asking about the center maxima because it is in the center. The intensity graph would look something like this (where the large hump is in the centerline of the slit):

Attached Files:

• ah.gif
      ah.gif
      File size:
      2.1 KB
      Views:
  5. Sep 19, 2005 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?