1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Single slit diffraction

1. Dec 16, 2017 #1
    In a single slit experiment if the condition of interference maxima be asinΘ=nλ where n=1,2,3,4....
    and the condition of diffraction minima is also the same
    Will it not cause any effect on the intensity of the interference maxima as both are at a same distance from the central maximum on the screen?
    a is the length of the slit

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2017 #2

lekh2003

Gold Member

I don't understand your question.

Is your question referring to the decreasing intensity of the interference maxima as the distance increases from the center? Could you please be more specific or clear?

By the way, the interference and destruction maxima and minima have different equations for single slit interference. You can find the minima from m, but the maxima from [m+1/2].

4. Dec 16, 2017 #3
    Actually I want to clarify that for a single slit experiment if ,a be the slit width
    Then what will be the condition of interference minima
    Is it asinΘ=(2n-1)λ/2 ,n=1,2,3 4.....taking path difference between rays from the two edges
    Or
    asinΘ=(2n-1)λ,n=1,2,3,4.....taking path difference between two rays from the centre and from one edge

5. Dec 16, 2017 #4

lekh2003

Gold Member

If a is the slit width, θ is the angle of the minima, λ is the wavelength of the light, and n is a value, then this equation will apply for the destruction minima:

a sinθ = nλ

For interference maxima, the following equation applies:

a sinθ = n(λ+1/2)

6. Dec 16, 2017 #5

Mister T

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's the correct expression for diffraction minima where ##a## is the slit width.

The expression for double-slit interference maxima is ##d \sin \theta = n \lambda## where ##d## is the slit separation distance (and ##n## can also equal ##0## for the central maximum).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted