1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Single stage rocket

1. Dec 10, 2016 #1
    Hello
    You have all been very helpfull with all my quistions about multi stage rockets and so, but im only left with one quistion. I know a multi stage rocket is better, but can somebody show me a specific exambel where a single stage rocket is more advantageable, or link to a website where i can see, that would be great :D
    Thanks for all your help

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2016 #2

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

A bottle rocket. It is better when low cost, simplicity, east of transportation and operation, and self-contined launch facilities, are the dominant factors..
    k Texas_Bottle_Rocket.png

If you don't like this answer, then you must define what you mean by advantageous or better.

4. Dec 10, 2016 #3
    Hello, yes, i mean when do you get fx. a higher velocity, or using less fuel to achieve the same. I have heard that a single stage rocket should be better when traveling for short distances, it that correct?
    Thanks

5. Dec 10, 2016 #4
    As I indicated in the multi-stage discussion, the single stage produces a higher final velocity if the extra mass of the second stage rockets and mating structure is greater than the mass of the empty first stage. It's actually a little worse that because the first stage has to carry all the extra mass too. I won't reproduce the equations here because I produced the full comparison in a previous post. Just plug in some numbers.

6. Dec 10, 2016 #5
    Oh ok yes i see it now, i have been playing around with some numbers, and it makes more sens now, thanks to both of you, and thanks @Cutter Ketch for helping me out with all my questions
    hope you will help me again in the future, i really appreciate that you took the time to helping me out with basic question :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted