1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Single variable Integration

1. Jan 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi could anyone please help me to solve the following integrals?
    x and z are the only variable in all of the following integrals. Others are just constants.

(a) Integrate sin(2x) * [(sinx)^2] with limits [0,a] or with limits [-a, +a]

(b) Integrate sin(3x) * [(sinx)^2] with limits [0,a]

Does it require the same method for cos, for example cos(5x) * (cosx)^3

(c) Integrate the indefinite integral 1/((x^2)+4)
    I guess this one has something to do with arctan, but I don't know how to start with it.
    Could anyone please show me the steps?

Okay, I promise this is the last question....
    (d) Integrate the indefinite integral exp(-kz)/(z+iL) where k is a positive constant, such that z=iL is the singularity inside any simple closed contour C(R).

I try to find the residue at z=-iL = (exp(-kz) / first derivative of x+iL and then evaluate everything at z=-iL which gives = exp(-ikL)

Then the required integral is 2*pi*exp(ikL).
    But the question is, is that right or have I done anything fundamentally wrong?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Thanks a lot, that's it from me!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2009 #2

jgens

Gold Member

Few brief comments.

For a, I would recommend that you use the identity sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x) and then make a proper choice for u

For b, I believe a similar method using the identity sin(3x) = 3cos^2(x)sin(x) - sin^3(x) or a variant of it would work.

For c, try the substitution 2u = x. Than x^2 = 4u^2. After that, integrate the resultant function.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?