"Single-world interpretations.... cannot be self-consistent"

In summary: This might be of interest to participants in this subforum. Have anyone read this? What do you think?This certainly sounds like a very big claim so I've been trying to read the preprint to find out about all the fine prints. Below is my attempt to summarize their basic argument based on my first pass at the preprint. I simplify it a bit which may leave some room for ambiguity.There are 4 players. Wigner (W), his assistant (A), his friend 1 (F1) and friend 2 (F2). I can think of them all as robots that do quantum experiments, record the outcomes in some physical states, and process that information to make predictions. No consciousness is required, and
jambaugh said:
My problem with dBB is twofold. The aforementioned unobservability and also the point of its formulation is to provide a consistent reality but (as I understand dBB which may be quite wrong!) the necessity of causal propagation of pilot waves FTL and back in time undermine the very objectivity of the reality one is trying to assert. If the future may update the present then the present state of reality is contingent and hypothetical.
Unobservability is not an issue for me. Reality is not obliged to be completely observable, in all details.
FTL is necessary in every realistic or causal interpretation. Which is the point of Bell's theorem, who was aware of dBB theory, and that it requires FTL, and he wanted to show that this is not an argument against dBB, because it is necessary in any realistic causal interpretation.
But there is nothing backward in time in dBB theory. It simply does not have any fundamental Lorentz symmetry. Effective Lorentz symmetry, which gives no FTL signalling, is unproblematic. But the ontological description requires a hidden preferred frame. What is the problem? Yet another hidden variable in a hidden variable interpretation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thread closed for moderation.

<h2>What is a single-world interpretation?</h2><p>A single-world interpretation is a theory in physics that suggests there is only one reality or universe. This means that everything that exists, including all events and objects, are contained within this single world.</p><h2>Why can single-world interpretations not be self-consistent?</h2><p>Single-world interpretations cannot be self-consistent because they do not account for the possibility of multiple realities or universes. This means that there is no way to explain or reconcile conflicting observations or theories within a single-world interpretation.</p><h2>What are some examples of single-world interpretations?</h2><p>One example of a single-world interpretation is the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics, which states that particles exist in multiple states at once until they are observed. Another example is the Many-Worlds interpretation, which suggests that every possible outcome of an event exists in a separate universe.</p><h2>Are there any alternative interpretations to single-world interpretations?</h2><p>Yes, there are alternative interpretations to single-world interpretations, such as the Many-Worlds interpretation, which suggests the existence of multiple universes, or the Pilot Wave theory, which proposes that particles are guided by a hidden wave function.</p><h2>What are the implications of single-world interpretations in the scientific community?</h2><p>Single-world interpretations have been a topic of debate and controversy in the scientific community, as they challenge our understanding of reality and the laws of physics. They also raise questions about the role of observation and consciousness in shaping our understanding of the universe.</p>

What is a single-world interpretation?

A single-world interpretation is a theory in physics that suggests there is only one reality or universe. This means that everything that exists, including all events and objects, are contained within this single world.

Why can single-world interpretations not be self-consistent?

Single-world interpretations cannot be self-consistent because they do not account for the possibility of multiple realities or universes. This means that there is no way to explain or reconcile conflicting observations or theories within a single-world interpretation.

What are some examples of single-world interpretations?

One example of a single-world interpretation is the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics, which states that particles exist in multiple states at once until they are observed. Another example is the Many-Worlds interpretation, which suggests that every possible outcome of an event exists in a separate universe.

Are there any alternative interpretations to single-world interpretations?

Yes, there are alternative interpretations to single-world interpretations, such as the Many-Worlds interpretation, which suggests the existence of multiple universes, or the Pilot Wave theory, which proposes that particles are guided by a hidden wave function.

What are the implications of single-world interpretations in the scientific community?

Single-world interpretations have been a topic of debate and controversy in the scientific community, as they challenge our understanding of reality and the laws of physics. They also raise questions about the role of observation and consciousness in shaping our understanding of the universe.