Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Singlet Pair Properties

1. Oct 28, 2014 #1

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

I just studied about the QM of singlet spin pairs. I have additional questions. Neither Wikipedia, nor past threads on this forum seem to address the questions.

1) A pair of electrons forming a singlet pair A. Can the pair be split again into non-entangled electrons? If yes how; just hit it with a photon?

2) Suppose we have two singlet pairs A and B. Can they be brought together without obeying the Fermi exclusion principle?

3) Can we entangle pairs A and B into a quantum system with 4 electrons and 16 spin states?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2014 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

1) Yes. Easiest is to measure the spin of one electron (along any axis).

2) The exclusion principle always holds.

3) Assuming we have a universal set of quantum gates with which to manipulate the spins, then we can put them into any state we like, such as the 4-particle GHZ state.

4. Oct 28, 2014 #3

anorlunda

Thank you Avodyne. Regarding Pauli Exclusion, I was wondering if a singlet pair can behave like a boson, even though the electrons are fermions.

5. Oct 28, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

It can - superconductors or superfluidity of He3 work that way, for example. That does not violate the uncertainty principle - no two fermions have the same state.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook