Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Singlets and gauge invariance

1. Jul 6, 2008 #1
    Hi folks!

Another stupid question: Consider a Yukawa coupling [itex]\lambda \bar{\psi}_1 \psi_2 \phi[/itex] where [itex]\phi[/itex] is a scalar field in the [itex](2,-\frac{1}{2})[/itex] representation and [itex]\psi_1[/itex] and [itex]\psi_2[/itex] are lh. Weyl fields in the [itex](2,-\frac{1}{2})[/itex] and [itex](1,1)[/itex] representation of [itex]\mathrm{SU}(2) \times \mathrm{U}(1)[/itex]. Why does the occurrence of the singlet [itex](1,0)[/itex] on the rhs of

[tex](2,-\frac{1}{2}) \otimes (2,-\frac{1}{2}) \otimes (1,1) = (1,0) \oplus (3,0)[/tex]

imply that this term is gauge-invariant? What about the [itex](3,0)[/itex] part? I just can't see it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2008 #2
    Interesting question. I'm still learning this stuff so take this explanation with a grain of salt.

[itex]\varphi,\psi_1[/itex] live in two-dimensional field vector spaces, so when we juxtapose them we must end up with a 4-dimensional space according to the tensor product rule for multiplication of vector spaces. We can ignore [itex]\psi_2[/itex] because it is 1-dimensional.

Intuitively it makes sense that a doublet [itex]\varphi[/itex] multiplied by the Dirac conjugate of another doublet is singlet, so [itex]\bar{\psi}_1\varphi[/itex] must form a 1-dimensional subspace of our 4-dimensional tensor product space. The fact that we have a 3-dimensional subspace left over should not concern us much because [itex]\bar{\psi}_1\varphi[/itex] doesn't live in there.

4. Jul 9, 2008 #3
    Yes, I think so. The appearance of a singlet in the above equation is just a necessary but not a sufficient condition for the term to be gauge invariant, right?

5. Jul 9, 2008 #4
    I'd say that's correct yes.

6. Jul 17, 2008 #5

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  7. Jul 18, 2008 #6
    Enlightenment! :)

8. Jul 19, 2008 #7
    A very nice explanation by samalkhaiat there.

Something I've been wondering is that given tensor components, e.g.,

[itex]\left( \bar{q}_{i} q_{j} - \frac{1}{3} \delta_{ij} \bar{q}_{k}q_{k} \right)[/itex]

how does one deduce that the corresponding subspace is irreducibly invariant?

I believe a necessary and sufficient condition for this to hold is that it must not be possible to form a tensor of lower rank by contracting with the Kronecker delta and permutation symbol, although I don't quite understand why this works.

9. Jul 19, 2008 #8
    Suppose that I want to decompose [itex]\mathbf{3} \otimes \mathbf{6}[/itex]. Is it sufficient to conclude that the symmetric tensors of the form [itex]T^{ijk}\equiv A^{ij}B^k+A^{ik}B^j+A^{kj}B^i[/itex] form an irreducible subspace and that the remaining orthogonal subspace must be the adjoint rep because it has dimension 8?

Thus [itex]\mathbf{3}\otimes\mathbf{6} = \mathbf{10} \oplus \mathbf{8}[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?