What is the significance of singlets and gauge invariance in particle physics?

In summary: Yes, you would need to decompose the symmetric tensor into its T^{ijk} and A^{ij} parts in order to determine that the adjoint rep is the irreducible subspace.
ledamage
Hi folks!

Another stupid question: Consider a Yukawa coupling [itex]\lambda \bar{\psi}_1 \psi_2 \phi[/itex] where [itex]\phi[/itex] is a scalar field in the [itex](2,-\frac{1}{2})[/itex] representation and [itex]\psi_1[/itex] and [itex]\psi_2[/itex] are lh. Weyl fields in the [itex](2,-\frac{1}{2})[/itex] and [itex](1,1)[/itex] representation of [itex]\mathrm{SU}(2) \times \mathrm{U}(1)[/itex]. Why does the occurrence of the singlet [itex](1,0)[/itex] on the rhs of

[tex](2,-\frac{1}{2}) \otimes (2,-\frac{1}{2}) \otimes (1,1) = (1,0) \oplus (3,0)[/tex]

imply that this term is gauge-invariant? What about the [itex](3,0)[/itex] part? I just can't see it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting question. I'm still learning this stuff so take this explanation with a grain of salt.

[itex]\varphi,\psi_1[/itex] live in two-dimensional field vector spaces, so when we juxtapose them we must end up with a 4-dimensional space according to the tensor product rule for multiplication of vector spaces. We can ignore [itex]\psi_2[/itex] because it is 1-dimensional.

Intuitively it makes sense that a doublet [itex]\varphi[/itex] multiplied by the Dirac conjugate of another doublet is singlet, so [itex]\bar{\psi}_1\varphi[/itex] must form a 1-dimensional subspace of our 4-dimensional tensor product space. The fact that we have a 3-dimensional subspace left over should not concern us much because [itex]\bar{\psi}_1\varphi[/itex] doesn't live in there.

Yes, I think so. The appearance of a singlet in the above equation is just a necessary but not a sufficient condition for the term to be gauge invariant, right?

I'd say that's correct yes.

ledamage said:
The appearance of a singlet in the above equation is just a necessary but not a sufficient condition for the term to be gauge invariant,

Do not confuse the REDUCIBLE tensor

[tex]
\bar{\psi}_{2} \otimes \phi \otimes \psi_{1} \equiv (2,1) \otimes (2,1) \otimes (1,-2) = (1,0) \oplus (3,0)
[/tex]

with the local product of the fields

[tex]\bar{\psi}_{2} \phi \psi_{1} \in (1,0)[/tex]

which forms the su(2)Xu(1)-invariant Yukawa coupling; anything belongs to a singlet is a scalar (invariant).
Indeed, using the transformations

[tex]\psi_{1} \rightarrow u_{1} \psi_{1}, \ \phi \rightarrow u_{2} \phi[/tex]

[tex]\psi_{2} \rightarrow u_{1}u_{2} \psi_{2} = u_{2}u_{1} \psi_{2}[/tex]

where [itex]u_{1} \in u(1)[/itex] and [itex]u_{2} \in su(2)[/itex], it is easy to show that

[tex]\bar{\psi}_{2} \phi \psi_{1} \rightarrow \bar{\psi}_{2} \phi \psi_{1}[/tex]

We build up higher-dimensional irreducible representations by taking tensor pruducts of the fundamental representations and projecting out the invariant subspaces. Take the simple case of su(3), the fundamental representations are [itex]q \equiv [3][/itex] and [itex]\bar{q} \equiv [\bar{3}][/itex];

[tex]\bar{q} \otimes q \equiv [\bar{3}] \otimes [3] = [8] \oplus [1][/tex]

This corresponds to the tensor identity

[tex]
\bar{q}_{i} q_{j} = \left( \bar{q}_{i} q_{j} - \frac{1}{3} \delta_{ij} \bar{q}_{k}q_{k} \right) + \frac{1}{3} \delta_{ij} \bar{q}_{k}q_{k}
[/tex]

So, while

[tex]\{\bar{q} \otimes q \equiv \bar{q}_{i}q_{j}\} \in [\bar{3}]\otimes [3][/tex]

is a reducible su(3)-tensor,

[tex]\bar{q}_{k}q_{k} \in [1][/tex]

is an invariant ( su(3)-scalar).

The other object in the bracket(...) is an irreducible, traceless tensor with 8 components, i.e., it belongs to the octet [8] ( mesons or gluons matrix).

regards

sam

Last edited:
Enlightenment! :)

A very nice explanation by samalkhaiat there.

Something I've been wondering is that given tensor components, e.g.,

[itex]\left( \bar{q}_{i} q_{j} - \frac{1}{3} \delta_{ij} \bar{q}_{k}q_{k} \right)[/itex]

how does one deduce that the corresponding subspace is irreducibly invariant?

I believe a necessary and sufficient condition for this to hold is that it must not be possible to form a tensor of lower rank by contracting with the Kronecker delta and permutation symbol, although I don't quite understand why this works.

Suppose that I want to decompose [itex]\mathbf{3} \otimes \mathbf{6}[/itex]. Is it sufficient to conclude that the symmetric tensors of the form [itex]T^{ijk}\equiv A^{ij}B^k+A^{ik}B^j+A^{kj}B^i[/itex] form an irreducible subspace and that the remaining orthogonal subspace must be the adjoint rep because it has dimension 8?

Thus [itex]\mathbf{3}\otimes\mathbf{6} = \mathbf{10} \oplus \mathbf{8}[/itex].

1. What is a singlet in physics?

A singlet in physics refers to a particle or field that is not affected by some specific transformation or symmetry. In other words, it remains unchanged under that transformation or symmetry. For example, in the Standard Model of particle physics, the Higgs boson is a singlet under the electromagnetic and strong nuclear forces, but not under the weak nuclear force.

2. What is gauge invariance in physics?

Gauge invariance is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the laws of physics should be unchanged or invariant under certain transformations. These transformations are called gauge transformations, and they include changes in the mathematical description of a physical system that do not affect its physical properties. Gauge invariance is a key concept in the development of theories such as quantum field theory and the Standard Model.

3. How does gauge invariance relate to the conservation of charge?

In quantum field theory, gauge invariance is closely related to the conservation of charge. This is because gauge transformations are associated with changes in the phase of the wave function of a charged particle. Since the probability of finding a charged particle at a certain location is related to the magnitude of its wave function squared, any changes in the phase of the wave function will not affect the probability and thus the overall charge of the system remains conserved.

4. What is the role of gauge invariance in the Standard Model?

Gauge invariance plays a crucial role in the development and formulation of the Standard Model of particle physics. The Standard Model is a gauge theory, which means that its equations are invariant under certain gauge transformations. This allows for the consistent description of the electromagnetic, weak, and strong forces and their interactions with matter particles. Gauge invariance is also crucial in explaining the mechanism of electroweak symmetry breaking, which gives particles their mass.

5. How is gauge invariance tested experimentally?

Gauge invariance can be tested experimentally through a variety of methods. One way is through precision measurements of physical quantities, such as the magnetic moment of an electron, which should be unchanged under gauge transformations. Another way is through the study of particle interactions, where any violations of gauge invariance would indicate the need for a more complete theory. Additionally, the discovery of the Higgs boson at the Large Hadron Collider provided experimental evidence for the gauge invariance of the Standard Model.