Finding Inner Solutions for Singular Perturbation Problems

In summary, singular perturbation is a mathematical technique used to solve problems with multiple time scales and analyze systems with dominant and minor processes. It differs from regular perturbation by using a power series with a small parameter raised to a fractional power. Real-life applications include aircraft flight stability, chemical reactions, and population dynamics. Challenges include determining appropriate parameters and ensuring accuracy of solutions. Resources for learning more about singular perturbation include textbooks, online lectures, and consulting with a mentor or taking a course.
sara_87

Homework Statement

[tex]\epsilon[/tex][tex]\frac{d^{2}u}{dx^{2}}[/tex] +[tex]\frac{du}{dx}[/tex] + e-x = 0

0<x<1
u(0)=0
u(1)=1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i want to find the inner solution first
i used the substitution x=[tex]\epsilon[/tex]2y

i put that in the equation:

[tex]\epsilon[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{\epsilon}^2n[/tex]u'' +[tex]\frac{1}{\epsilon}^n[/tex]u' +[tex]\epsilon[/tex]^n y = 0
now i have to pick a value for n... how do i do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
epsilon is not meant to be floating that... sorry just imagine it's in line, any help would be much appreciated thanks in advance!

1. What is singular perturbation?

Singular perturbation is a mathematical technique used to solve problems that involve two or more time scales. It is used to analyze systems that have dominant and minor processes, and allows for a more accurate understanding of the behavior of the system as a whole.

2. How is singular perturbation different from regular perturbation?

In regular perturbation, the solution is expanded in a power series of a small parameter. In singular perturbation, the solution is expanded in a power series of a small parameter raised to a fractional power, allowing for a more precise representation of the system's behavior.

3. What are some real-life applications of singular perturbation?

Singular perturbation has many applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and biology. Some examples include analyzing the stability of aircraft flight, predicting the behavior of chemical reactions, and understanding the dynamics of population growth.

4. What are the challenges of using singular perturbation?

One of the main challenges of using singular perturbation is determining the appropriate time scales and parameters to use in the analysis. It can also be difficult to ensure the accuracy and convergence of the solution, as the method involves approximations and expansions.

5. How can I learn more about singular perturbation?

There are many resources available for learning about singular perturbation, including textbooks, online lectures, and research papers. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus and differential equations, before delving into the topic. Additionally, consulting with a mentor or taking a course on the subject can also be helpful in understanding the concepts and applications of singular perturbation.