Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Singular points and reidues

1. Mar 20, 2010 #1
    I need to find and classify the singular points and find the residue at each of these points for the following function;

f(z) = [tex]\frac{z^{1/2}}{z^{2}+1}[/tex]

I can see that the singular points are at z=i and z=-i but have no idea how to classify them or find the residue at each point.

I know finding the residue depends on if the singular points are removable singulairties, poles or zeros of certain orders but don't know to classify z=i or z=-i.

Any help would be brillant, thankyou.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

A function has a "pole of order n" at z= a if it can be written as a power series in z- a, the "Laurent series", including negative powers down to [itex](z-a)^{-n}[/itex].
    At an "essential singularity", such a power series includes all negative powers.
    If there is a pole at z= a, the residue at z= a is the coefficient of [itex](z-a)^n[/itex] in
    the powers series. We can write the example you give as [itex]\frac{z^{1/2}}{z+ i}\frac{1}{z- i}[/itex]. Since [itex]\frac{z^{1/2}}{z+i}[/itex] is analytic at z= i, it can be written as a power series in z- i with non-negative powers of z (Taylor's series)- which is of course, just it value at z= i. Multiplying that by [itex](z-i)^{-1}[/itex] gives a Laurent series down to (z- i)^{-1} so this function has a "pole of order 1" at z= i and its residue there is the same as the constant term of theTaylor's series for [itex]\frac{z^{1/2}}{z+ i}[/itex] around z= i which, after multplying by [itex]\frac{1}{z- i}= (z- i)^{-1}[/itex] gives the coefficient of [itex](z- i)^{-1}[/itex].

In other words because [itex]z^{1/2}[/itex] is analytic at z= i and z= -i, [itex]\frac{z^{1/2}}{z^2+ 1}[/itex] has a pole of order 1 at both points. The residue at z= i is [itex]\frac{i^{1/2}}{i+ i}= \frac{i^{1/2}}{2i}[/itex] and the residuce at z= -i is [itex]\frac{(-i)^{1/2}}{-i- i}= -\frac{(-i)^{1/2}}{2i}[/itex].
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook