I can't see how to express those in simpler form.

In summary, the function f(z) = \frac{z^{1/2}}{z^{2}+1} has singular points at z=i and z=-i. These points are classified as poles of order 1. The residue at z=i is \frac{i^{1/2}}{2i} and the residue at z=-i is -\frac{(-i)^{1/2}}{2i}.
Juggler123
I need to find and classify the singular points and find the residue at each of these points for the following function;

f(z) = [tex]\frac{z^{1/2}}{z^{2}+1}[/tex]

I can see that the singular points are at z=i and z=-i but have no idea how to classify them or find the residue at each point.

I know finding the residue depends on if the singular points are removable singulairties, poles or zeros of certain orders but don't know to classify z=i or z=-i.

Any help would be brillant, thankyou.

Physics news on Phys.org
Juggler123 said:
I need to find and classify the singular points and find the residue at each of these points for the following function;

f(z) = [tex]\frac{z^{1/2}}{z^{2}+1}[/tex]

I can see that the singular points are at z=i and z=-i but have no idea how to classify them or find the residue at each point.

I know finding the residue depends on if the singular points are removable singulairties, poles or zeros of certain orders but don't know to classify z=i or z=-i.

Any help would be brillant, thankyou.
A function has a "pole of order n" at z= a if it can be written as a power series in z- a, the "Laurent series", including negative powers down to [itex](z-a)^{-n}[/itex].
At an "essential singularity", such a power series includes all negative powers.
If there is a pole at z= a, the residue at z= a is the coefficient of [itex](z-a)^n[/itex] in
the powers series. We can write the example you give as [itex]\frac{z^{1/2}}{z+ i}\frac{1}{z- i}[/itex]. Since [itex]\frac{z^{1/2}}{z+i}[/itex] is analytic at z= i, it can be written as a power series in z- i with non-negative powers of z (Taylor's series)- which is of course, just it value at z= i. Multiplying that by [itex](z-i)^{-1}[/itex] gives a Laurent series down to (z- i)^{-1} so this function has a "pole of order 1" at z= i and its residue there is the same as the constant term of theTaylor's series for [itex]\frac{z^{1/2}}{z+ i}[/itex] around z= i which, after multplying by [itex]\frac{1}{z- i}= (z- i)^{-1}[/itex] gives the coefficient of [itex](z- i)^{-1}[/itex].

In other words because [itex]z^{1/2}[/itex] is analytic at z= i and z= -i, [itex]\frac{z^{1/2}}{z^2+ 1}[/itex] has a pole of order 1 at both points. The residue at z= i is [itex]\frac{i^{1/2}}{i+ i}= \frac{i^{1/2}}{2i}[/itex] and the residuce at z= -i is [itex]\frac{(-i)^{1/2}}{-i- i}= -\frac{(-i)^{1/2}}{2i}[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are singular points in complex analysis?

Singular points are points on a complex function where the function is not defined or becomes infinite. They are also known as poles or branch points.

2. How are singular points related to residues?

Residues are the values of a complex function at its singular points. They are used in complex integration to calculate the value of a function at a singular point.

3. What is the difference between a simple pole and a higher order pole?

A simple pole is a singular point where the function approaches infinity as the complex variable approaches the point. A higher order pole is a singular point where the function approaches infinity at a faster rate than a simple pole.

4. Can a function have more than one singular point?

Yes, a function can have multiple singular points. These can be either isolated singular points or branch points.

5. How are singular points and residues used in real-world applications?

Singular points and residues are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. They are used in the analysis of complex systems and can help in solving differential equations and evaluating integrals.