1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Singular Points of DE

1. Nov 2, 2013 #1

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The equation of motion of a particle moving in a straight line is

##x'' - x + 2x^3 = 0##

and ##x = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}, x' = u > 0## at ##t = 0##. Identify the singular points in the phase plane and sketch the phase trajectories. Describe the possible motions of the particle, indicating the ranges of u for which these motions occur.

The attempt at a solution

I really can't seem to get started on this question -- where are the singular points here, and how might I identify them? The co-efficient of x'' is 1, so it doesn't seem like I can divide by anything useful. I can't set a first derivative equal to zero, because there aren't any in this equation. Is there a form in which I have to rewrite this to get something useful out of it?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi FeDeX_LaTeX! :smile:
    Multiply throughout by x' and then integrate? :wink:

4. Nov 2, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not an area I've previously worked in, but my reading of http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucahdrb/MATH3401/phaseplane.pdf is that the phase plane for a second order ODE is the plane (x', x). The 2nd order ODE is written as a first order ODE in terms of x and y where y = x'. Singular points refer to that context.

5. Nov 6, 2013 #4

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Okay, with tiny-tim's suggestion, I had:

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} \frac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}} = (x - 2x^3) \frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\implies \frac{1}{2} \frac{d}{dt} \left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2 = (x - 2x^3) \frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\implies \left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2 = x^2 - x^4 + u^2 - \frac{1}{4}[/tex]

after plugging in our initial conditions.

We must have ##\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2 \geq 0##, so we have singularities whenever ##x^2 - x^4 + u^2 - \frac{1}{4} < 0##, i.e. whenever ##(x^2 - \frac{1}{2})^2 > u^2##. That'd give me something of the form x' = f(x) for which I can map a phase-plane plot -- all that remains is to re-arrange and integrate to get an equation in t and x, from which I could probably find the possible motions of the particle, correct?

6. Nov 6, 2013 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is just a matter of applying definitions. First, because this asks about "singular poinnts in the phase plane", we have to convert to the "phase plane"! Let v= x' so that x''= v' and the equation becomes [itex]v'- x+ 2x^3= 0[/itex] or [itex]v'= x- 2x^3[/itex].

So in the "phase plane" we have the pair of equatons [itex]x'= v[/itex], [itex]v'= x- 2x^3[/itex]. A "singular point[/b] is where both x' and v' are 0. That is, where v= 0 and [itex]x- 2x^3= 0[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted