Singular y=-x for x+y^2y' = 0

• Thread starter psholtz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a singular solution in differential equations, using the example of the equation (x+y)^2y' = 0. It is explained that this equation has two solutions, y=-x and y=C, and both of these satisfy the initial conditions y(0) = 0. It is then questioned whether the whole system is considered singular or just the solution y=-x. The expert explains that the whole system is singular and that in the well-known case of the Clairaut equation, the singular solution forms a boundary around the set of general solutions. It is then asked if this is always the case or if it only applies to the Clairaut equation.
psholtz
Just so I have the concept of a singular solution down correctly, suppose I have an equation like:

[tex]\left(x+y\right)^2y' = 0[/tex]

This admits of two solutions:

[tex]y=-x[/tex]

and, from:

[tex]y' = 0[/tex]

[tex]y = C[/tex]

where C is a constant.

So the "two" solutions for the equation would be:

[tex]y_1=-x, y_2 = C[/tex]

In this case, y=-x would be considered the "singular" solution, correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I'm familiar w/ Wikipedia.

If there's a specific example from Wikipedia that you'd like to discuss in more depth, please do so.

Getting back to my example:

[tex](x+y)^2y' = 0[/tex]

The equation is solved by "two" equations:

[tex]y_1 = -x[/tex]

[tex]y_2 = C[/tex]

Suppose we set initial conditions to something very simple, like:

[tex]y(0) = 0[/tex]

Then there would be "two" curves (or lines, for precisely), which would satisfy the equation and initial conditions. That is, the line y=-x passes through the origin, as does the line y=0, both of which are solutions to the differential equation, and both of which satisfy the initial conditions.

So it would appear that failure of uniqueness is something that happens here.

My question is just, do we say that the whole system is singular, or just the y=x part, or what?

The system is singular. You cannot say that one solution or the other is a "singular solution".

In well-known case of the Clairaut equation, the singular solution forms an "envelope" or "boundary" around the family of general solutions to the D.E.

Is this always the case (i.e., do singular solutions always form a boundary around the set of general solutions), or does this only happen to occur in the case of the Clairaut equation?

1. What is the equation "Singular y=-x for x+y^2y' = 0"?

The equation "Singular y=-x for x+y^2y' = 0" is a differential equation that represents a singular solution. A singular solution is a solution that cannot be extended to a larger neighborhood without becoming multiple-valued or undefined.

2. What is the significance of the variable y in this equation?

The variable y in this equation represents the dependent variable, which is a function of the independent variable x. In this particular equation, the value of y is related to the value of x through the derivative y'.

3. How is the equation "Singular y=-x for x+y^2y' = 0" solved?

The equation can be solved using various methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or using an integrating factor. The solution will depend on the initial conditions given for the equation.

4. What does it mean for a solution to be "singular"?

A singular solution is a solution that cannot be extended to a larger neighborhood without becoming multiple-valued or undefined. In other words, the solution is not continuous and has a point of discontinuity.

5. What are some real-world applications of the equation "Singular y=-x for x+y^2y' = 0"?

This equation can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model systems that exhibit singular behavior. For example, it can be used to model the motion of a pendulum with friction or the behavior of a population with a carrying capacity.