Theorem Proved: Universal Speed C in SR?

In summary, a theorem has been proven that states the existence of an effective speed limit c in Special Relativity would result in only one limit for all relevant phenomena. This is supported by previous literature, with references 1-11 providing similar work. To find more information, a search for "why invariant speed must be fastest speed" without quotations may be helpful.
andrew s 1905
I recall reading on this forum that a theorem had been proved to the effect that is there was a effective speed limit c in SR then there would only be one such limit for all relevant phenomena.

Is this true and if so can you point me at it as I don't seem to be able to formulate the question well enough to get hit on here or Google.

Thanks Andrew

Physics news on Phys.org
andrew s 1905 said:
Is this true and if so can you point me at it as I don't seem to be able to formulate the question well enough to get hit on here or Google.

Try "why invariant speed must be fastest speed" without the quotes.

Likes andrew s 1905

1. What is the "Theorem Proved: Universal Speed C in SR"?

The "Theorem Proved: Universal Speed C in SR" is a scientific theorem that states that the speed of light, denoted as "c", is the same for all observers in all inertial frames of reference in special relativity. This means that the speed of light is a fundamental constant that is independent of the relative motion of the observer.

2. How was this theorem proved?

This theorem was proved through various experiments and observations, including the famous Michelson-Morley experiment. It was also mathematically proven through the use of Lorentz transformations and the postulates of special relativity.

3. What is the significance of this theorem?

This theorem is significant because it is a fundamental principle in modern physics and has been confirmed by countless experiments and observations. It forms the basis for many other theories, including Einstein's theory of general relativity.

4. Does this theorem apply to all forms of electromagnetic radiation?

Yes, this theorem applies to all forms of electromagnetic radiation, not just visible light. This includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays.

5. Are there any exceptions to this theorem?

So far, there have been no exceptions found to this theorem. The speed of light has been measured to be constant in all inertial frames of reference, and this has been confirmed by numerous experiments and observations. However, some theories, such as the theory of quantum gravity, propose that there may be subtle variations in the speed of light under certain extreme conditions.