1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Singular Value Decomposition

1. May 7, 2007 #1
    I have a couple questions about the singular value decomposition theorem, which states that any mxn matrix A of rank r > 0 can be factored into
    [tex] A = U \Sigma V[/tex]
    into the product of an mxm matrix U with orthonormal columns, the mxn matrix ∑ with ∑ = diag([tex]\sqrt{\lambda_i}[/tex]), and the nxn matrix V with orthonormal columns.

In case the definition doesn't provide much help, the V has the orthonormalized eigenvectors of (A^T)A, and U has the orthonormalized eigenvectors of A(A^T).

Do the first r columns of U span A, i.e. do the first r columns of U form a basis for the range of A? Similarly, will the first r columns of V form a basis for the corng of A?

Really what I am trying to determine is if C is a 3x3 matrix with eigenvalues of 0, 1, and 2, if the eigenvalues of C^T C can be determined with the eigenvalues of C.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2007 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

4. May 7, 2007 #3
    Actually, I was really certain about the bases for rng and corng.

Mostly what I don't see is the relation between the eigenvalues of C and the eigenvalues of C^T C, because one matrix is a symmetric positive definite matrix, while the other (C) is a general 3x3 matrix.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?