1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Singularities, residues

1. Nov 4, 2006 #1
    does [tex] f(z)=\frac{ze^{iz}}{z^2+a^2} [/tex] have a singularity at infinity?

if so, how do i get the residue there?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Does [tex]f(w):=f(1/z)[/tex] has a singularity at w=0 is what you must ask yourself.

Btw - you're really not in the right forum.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  4. Nov 4, 2006 #3
    okay so i transform z -> 1/w then take lim w-> 0... if it blows up then i do have a singularity... how do i get lim w->0 of exp(i/w) ?

well first, i think i need l'hopitals (for the whole function). then, can i use the fact that when taking a limit it can be approached along any line on the Z-plane? i.e. use the path along i-axis ?

i think the conclusion will be that it blows up. three follow up questions. 1. how do i get the residue at infinity? 2. what is the conclusion in a case wherein the limit does not exist? 3. Is the singularity at infinity and/or its residue useful? (i mean i know the finite singularities are useful in integration, does this arise in some physical theory?)

i am very sorry for posting in the wrong forum.. thanks for all the help
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?